R9 280X runs horribly bad

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xrider, Oct 23, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nothing is wrong with nobody. we have already established that his gpu is running correct clocks. His problem seems to be that he has leftover nvidia bits in the registry. It could also be a old not properly functioning psu.

OP, if you want to get this sorted, you'll have to allow us to help you by providing as much info as you can!!!

2. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    Returned the faulty card and asked for replacement.
    Thanks for all the help and advices!

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    how do you know it was faulty? and I didn't think you could return it?

4. miiksu

miiksu Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Hopeful it works this time. I was just going to suggest to install Windows 8.1 for an old hardrive and see if it's same.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    eclap, you're better than this, are you serious? He did a clean reinstall of Windows and its the same result. His previous (pretty damn old) card performed better; regardless of "bottleneck" or all this bologna people are chiming in with, a much stronger card would show atleast some improvement, not be dramatically worse. Its a pretty open and shut case when you conisder all the OP has done to troubleshoot this. Its not like B4 ran bad for 10 minutes and he instantly sent the card back.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    my bad, missed the bit where he said he re-installed windows. been too busy reading up on the new gpus.

7. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    i ordered x280 and lets hope it rocks...

8. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    THANK YOU!

There is a massive error in logic taking place all throughout this thread.

You must understand, there is a serious problem with you only testing Assassin's Creed. I know you've said it's the "same" in other games but I don't know that, we don't know that, no one knows that because we haven't had any proper evidence provided to us.

You cannot simply switch architectures, get a different game experience in 1 title and go around claiming the sky is falling. Yes, I know that's an exaggeration but you must look at the big picture.

You have not even determined that your card is faulty in the first place. You have done next to zero actual science to determine the cause of your perceived problems.

I guess here's to hoping the new one improves your situation.

I wonder what criteria you will base the performance of the new card by...:rolleyes:.

9. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    That's right, I took some time before jumping into conclusions. I tried all I could and some more and all the evidence lead to either it is faulty or my 700 PSU is bad. How can the PSU being bad if I just installed my GTX560Ti and it's running at 60% GPU load and much better FPS than the AMD card which ran on 33% load and had much less FPS...

I tested many games rFactor 2, NFS Most Wanted 2012, AC3, Sleeping Dogs, Battlefield 3 and the results were the same - The Card Performed worse than 560Ti.

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Exactly. I, and some others here who followed the details in this thread feel you did plenty of testing and the right thing in the end. I wish you the best and hope the replacement card shows some improvement for you! You may consider exchanging it for a different brand too, like Sapphire or HIS just to rule out the possibility that particular brand, Gigabyte released a run of lemons. It happened with the 7870 originally, so logic reasons that it could happen here too.

11. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    So, now we know you have tested BF3, etc...If the gpu usage is less than 60%(560ti) that is correct only if you are using v-sync ON or capping it because a better card will use less to achieve the same frames per second.

12. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    Thank you, I learned new things in the process and was glad to see the amount of help from the forum. In the end people were trying to help and that's what meters! If the new card will run great I will post here again, if not then I need to work harder, it's all about how much effort you put into the problem :)

13. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ I edited my post at the same time you quoted. Just a recommendation and something more to consider - up to you!

14. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Tell me, did you use v-sync on or off?But still no benchmarks print-screens or links?!That's the 1st thing you do, it's to run 3dmark11 or 3dmark 2013 - Firestrike.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm getting over 90% gpu usage in bf3 and I'm capping to 60fps

16. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I used a lemon by Gigabyte, the ones you buy from the market and drink with bubble tea :) anyways 3dPlayer, the tea was sweet! :)

17. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Yeah. If you are using high res and ultra settings and playing the multiplayer, probably. :)

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that's exactly what I do :)

well, not high res, 1080p only. and of course multiplayer, who plays bf3 for it's sp?

19. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    No one i guess.

Xrider - keep us posted when you get the other card and buy another lemon. :)

20. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    have you try the card in another system similar to yours ?