R9 280X runs horribly bad

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xrider, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ASSPOP

ASSPOP Guest

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 470
    look at the reviews of that exact card on new egg. A lot of people are having trouble with it. It might be card related, their not working right. You probably got a bunk card.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. SapphireLynx

SapphireLynx Guest

GPU:
    Msi GTX 760 SLI 1200/1700
    clean install OS or go home

3. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    So much trolling in this thread. LOL

card bios not upclocking or downcloking.

old psu, who knows...

4. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Man, must suck buying a faster card and finding out it actually performs worse.

Really sounds like the clocks aren't switching to 3d mode, that's all I can come up with.

Hope you fix this! Don't worry about your CPU. Of course a faster one will make things, well, faster (duh). But you shouldn't have lost fps after upgrading to your new card.

There's also the chance of it being a driver problem, although that would surprise me since the tech is pretty much the same as current.

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    This guy might be onto something. Some of AMD's 7870 cards had problems when they first rolled out and people were RMA-ing them by the hundreds. So it stands to figure something similar could happen again. This is why I never buy new tech right when it comes out. I wait for them to get the bugs out first and then make a purchase. You may have a lemon on your hands!

yep, that time of the year. The years best seasonal beer is available and so are the shouts of "bottleneck, bottleneck, bottleneck" from the rooftops.

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well I dont see what the confusion is re the bottlenecking. Fact is the op's cpu at it's current speed WILL bottleneck a 280x by a good ten or so fps...

Strange that the OP "cant" return this Gpu as if he has done 1. driver sweeper 2 new mobo bios 3 fresh os install...sounds like a dud.

7. D3lta

D3lta Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DCU2
  8. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

there is no bottleneck in your config , just try to run you card in another pc and see if the probleme is the same , if the card runs good whithout problemes then she doesent like your mobo or your psu

9. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i hope the op gets to read my post, so he can tell us if issues consist.

10. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury

11. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I read your post, I don't want to increase any power or modify card settings yet.

I formatted pc and installed fresh windows 7 and the issue still there... :(

With Msi Afterburner OSD, when I go into Assassin's creed 3 in the city on lowest settings I get:

GPU: 56 degres, 34% (I'm not sure if it's gpu usage or fan tachometer), 1100mhz
    MEM: 1500mhz, 753MB
    D3D11: 33

In OSD I enabled: GPU temp, GPU usage, core clock, mem clock, mem usage, frame rate...

I want to thank you guys for trying to help, I want to get this sorted
    and I don't think my cpu bottlenecking, It's true that it's not fast but I shouldn't get this kind of results with this brand new card...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    If GPU usage is so low it means CPU bottleneck

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    depends on the game though, some games have crap gpu utilization, no matter what you do.

14. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I don't think it's my CPU bottlenecking. When I run 2.6 Ghz and increase it to 3.2 Ghz I get improvement of about 7 fps. IF it was bottlenecking my fps improvement margin way bigger... That of course from my past experience.

Question is, why and how I can raise my GPU usage...?

BTW, I tried using Radeon Pro, on start it says "invalid graphics adapter''... I ticked the "maintain highest performance clocks'' and it's still using 33% GPU usage.

15. miiksu

miiksu Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano

16. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    i had same problem when i switch from green to red or from red to green. doesnt matter if i let driver sweeper run atimen or some other ****.
    just install new all problems gone.

17. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
  18. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    here's my CPU usage with 2.8Ghz CPU clock, after playing the same game:
    [​IMG]

19. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Get this sorted? Your last card ran fine, you did a clean Windows install and it still sucks. Wake up, its a lemon! Stop playing games and wasting your time and return it!

20. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    Ok, I accept your opinion.. And what exactly I should say to the seller, not enough power when gaming?! I understand if I had real solid evidence to why it's not working.