R9 280X runs horribly bad

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xrider, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Do the same test with your current setup.

2. ssenginss

ssenginss Member

GPU:
    Gtx580
    People play BF3 in single player and get great fps right, but then when they enter a 64 multi player server GPU usage/AFR scaling goes bad because 64 people 's data needs to be computed synchronized all these are not computed by the GPU

I believe if you wanna play at solid 60fps with that GPU, you will need a CPU that runs at least 4GHz and has a modern architecture prefebably from Intel

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No it won't. I had a i7 920 up until last weekend and even at a modest overclock to 3.0ghz it still ran BF3 with no issues.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Untill we get some more info about CPU/GPU usage ingame, no one can really tell you what the issue is...

op, did you reformat the pc?

5. HellfireZA

HellfireZA Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-280x WF3 OC
    Ok just did, just noting I was also doing it in DX11: Got a result of 89.4 fps now. I can only think thats due to the pci-e being v3 now, since clocks were the same and I know there is a slight performance gain from pci e 2.1 vs 3.

So what I would honestly suggest is download valley, do the benchmark with your cpu at 3.2ghz and see what result you get, average and min fps. my min was 32 and max 127 right now.

My clocks are 1165 core and 1600 mem, during benchmark temp didn't go higher than 67c with 60% fan speed.

Also some other knowledge, this is my first AMD/ATI card ever, I was using a 590 before this. All I did was use driver sweeper and installed latest beta drivers, no reformat or anything and that's when i got the 86fps average. So Im almost 99% you have faulty hardware, you should not need to reformat just for a gpu, I never have. I do really suggest doing the valley benchmark though because then you have my raw data to compare with.

EDIT: One last think I had the exact same board as you, Rev 2.00 so its definitively your hardware. 4ghz on that board is super easy.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    LOL @ all the folks claiming any i7 could bottle-neck his setup.

OP, you must first, objectively, get an idea of your current performance levels to determine if there really is a loss of performance and not related to perception, etc.

Valley, and the like, is a great thing but it's not as predictable/relateable to other folks as something so time-tested as 3DMark. (Of course if the poster above me has an identical system to you, that's another thing).

Fire up 3DMark11 and get a reliable score. Compare it to what you know your 560 can do. Is it higher? Is it lower like you say it should be? By how much?

I'd just like to quantify the scenario before you have to reinstall, etc.

7. HellfireZA

HellfireZA Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-280x WF3 OC
    There must be something wrong with you if you can't read, a 2.8ghz 920 WILL bottleneck the card as I've proved that. I even have the same board as him. Best thing is not to go get some 3dmark result because he can't compare it to anything(???). I've given him my results, if he gets way difference even at 2.8ghz then he obviously has a hardware fault.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I love how you reply and you didn't even pay attention to the 120Hz bit. Nobody mentioned stock vs. OC as all X58 boards can overclock and it's a pity not to. I get half that FPS on Valley with GPU usage 99% almost all the time (if not all the time). So you're not running it maxed on a single gpu, hence " aiming for 120Hz" except if you like to play FRAPS on your 60Hz monitor.

9. HellfireZA

HellfireZA Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-280x WF3 OC
    Your understanding of English must be terrible. You're the one who said EXCEPT if you're aiming for 120hz, I'm not aiming for 120hz RR and neither is the guy having the issue... and like I said I had cpu bottleneck. So I suggest unless you think you can help the guy rather don't just jab randomly.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You might want to find your way out of the thread since you are essentially offering useless advice. If you hang around after the OP solves his issue I will be the first one to make fun of your useless advice.

Read the OP properly. Does worse performance than 560Ti sound like bottleneck to you?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yasa mate, time to give up. I'm actually surprised you put so much time into arguing with someone that clueless. You're better than that :)

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Called it in another thread. I knew it.

13. HellfireZA

HellfireZA Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-280x WF3 OC
    I'm almost certain its not a bottleneck issue, but at 3.2ghz he could very well be loosing say 10fps on average and I like to be certain when I troubleshoot a problem. I have said I'm sure its a hardware fault.. its the people like you who are saying his i7 wont bottle neck the card who are giving wrong information and clearly aren't trying to help. I'm not interested in arguing with you, just don't claim fact when its just your "guess".

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're honestly just stirring the pot mate. His current setup is slower than it was with a 560ti (a much weaker card) and the only change was the GPU. Bringing overclocking or bottlenecks into it is asinine. Even at stock clocks the 280 should be performing far better than his old card.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    sure, at 3.2ghz as opposed to 4ghz on that cpu, in multiplayer, on big maps, he's probably losing a bunch of frames, he'll encounter some more severe fps drops. But to say that the 920 is not good enough to run with a 280x, like it's been implied in this thread by a few is just not true.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @Xrider: Get RadeonPRO, enable OSD in games and check GPU utilization, it never hurts. Have real time clock speeds displayed too.
    My card sometimes downclock in games which does not require much GPU power and yes, it hurts, because fps drops down then utilization is up again and card boosts again, repeating cycle.
    (It's rare and may happen)

Other thing is... Get: http://www.kegetys.net/dl.php/D3Dbandwidth.zip
    My HD7970 tested at 1100/1500MHz CPU/MEM - PCIe 2.0 x16:
    Code:
    Using GetRenderTargetData for downloads, UpdateTexture for uploads.
    VM = Video memory
    SM = System memory
    4.00MB buffer

Adapter 0 (\\.\DISPLAY1): AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
         VM to SM (Download):  4463.12 MB/s
           SM to VM (Upload):  3798.65 MB/s
    Just to check if something is not preventing card from communication.

17. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Could be 2 devices are now listed in registry, the nvidia card and the amd card.
    Anyway, removing all traces of nvidia could proof to be a pain, as would be for amd when switching brand.
    So use everything possible to cleanout drivers.

As for bottlenecking,...
    it's pretty straight forward, the fps you had with the 560TI combined with certain game settings, should at least be equal when running the 280X. You could in fact run with much higher settings without loosing fps.
    The bottleneck would be that your fps stays at what it already was, and barely goes any higher, again, regardless of ingame video settings.

There is no way that a faster card would run slower because of a cpu that can't supply enough juice for that card. It should at least give you the same fps as before.

Use msi afterburner and enable the osd from rivatuner that comes with it. It will show temps and clockspeeds while you game. If clocks are as they should, well, a clean windows install would then be in order, after that you could suspect the card to be faulty if it's still very slow. Some overheating component or something else on the pcb.

18. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Guys, can you stop comparing dick sizes and get back to helping the OP?

Its been this way for years and I'm getting sick of it, reading ignorant CPU bottleneck arguments every time I come to a GPU thread on guru3d.

@Xrider, through all the ****storm the past page I can't tell if you've made any progress on your issue.

What is your current progress on troubleshooting it so we can suggest more steps ??

have you run driver sweeper? You could also try searching the registry and program files for any remnant of Nvidia software or drivers.

19. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    Hi Xrider

i might add a little advice here, you might want to have your power tune settings turned up to 20% @ stock video card clocks.

install msi afterburner use the power tune setting to 20%, launch a game, and see if the core and memory clocks allways stay at the default 3D clocks, if you see any deaviation of clocks while gaming, you can go further and use:

Radeon Pro, install it, then make a profile for your game, and in the overdrive settings of radeon pro, click on Maintain HI performance clocks whule gaming.

From my experience, Amd cards have issues with power managing and thermal managing + gpu ussage controled by these.

You see my theory is that they have too much going on, you got the bios managing power AND the driver side doing it too, after locking these ''flag'' using radeon pro, or by incrementing power tune setting, resolves this.

Please keep in mind that you clocks and gpus usage should become more stable (as in less spikes allarround)

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    comparing dick sizes? calm down. We need to hear back from the OP. We've suggested everything you're asking him to do already.