R9 280x Owners Thread & overclocking discussion!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by StealBalls, Nov 3, 2013.

1. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    What I have read on reviews Toxic is noisier and cost more than other brands. And what comes to overclocking it is lottery. I would not bay more if there is no quarantee it will oc much better than others. But if you still want to buy sapphire toxic, Systemstore is selling it atm 309+4,9€.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    The toxic edition is a bit louder than other custom cooled cards, but quieter than the reference AMD cooler, I've gathered.

Whether the TE will overclock further or not is a matter of luck for sure. Some reviews show basically no oc headroom while others are able to push it even towards 1300 mhz core.

On the other hand, some "basic" cards don't necessarily oc to toxic levels so with the toxic I'll have a guaranteed overclock out of the box.

Plus the strong cooler and backplate and the 12-phase power design appeal to me.

In theory I should be able to reach TE level clocks with other cards. For example your HIS seems to oc well beyond toxic levels.

It's a tradeoff between pricing / noise / oc'ability / brand preference etc.

I prefer Asus brand components too, but Sapphire should be a good brand too right?

3. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    On my card I was able to raise vddc up to 1,381. It's quite high. Good headroom for oc if you are lucky and get good stone :)

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    If you're pushing 1.381V for a good OC then it's most likely that you have not much headroom at all.

1.38V is a bit too high of a voltage too, I wouldn't run that voltage 24/7. I don't know if I'd even run it for short periods of time.

5. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Probably. My games did not crash at 1250 but I was getting artifacts so I had to lower it to 1215. The card needed more than 1,3 vddc to not crash. I heard Asus only let you do 1,3 vddc max?

6. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    My Crossfire 280x's seems to work fine apart from the ridiculous fan/HS design that blows warm air all around my internals. >:8

Even pushed them up to 1150 on stock cooler without any problems, the noise is the only concern.

I don't want to play around with them too much until i have full length water blocks on them, them they'll get punished!!

7. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Well, looks like I don't have to worry about it getting cold in my room this winter.

This video card has turned my PC into a space heater.

Seriously, I can feel the heat radiate from my PC when I play something like BF4 or Planetside 2.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Airflow problem maybe?...

9. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Could anyone here who owns either Asus (not the ROG edition) or MSI card post screenshoy of GPU-Z please? I am curious about the release date it shows.

10. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    uh...no...

11. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    have my 290 pro up to 1105 core with +50mv..

12. gumbie

gumbie New Member

GPU:
    R9 280x
    Asus DC2T

Oct 8, 2013

13. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Thanks. I was thinking about ordering it due to higher clocks.
    Do you think it uses the reference PCB (I would slap some third party cooler on it)?

14. gumbie

gumbie New Member

GPU:
    R9 280x
    I have no idea what pcb it has, but I don´t know why you would need a 3rd party cooler, my gpu sits there at 72ºC and 30% fan under heavy stress.

15. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well, noise can sometimes be reduced significantly. Not always, but it's often worth it.

16. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S

Here ya go.

[​IMG]

17. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    I'm very happy with the MSI R9 280X. My card has a low ASIC quality of 61% so I left the overclock at 1100 on the core and the 280X already has plenty of memory bandwidth so I don't see any point in overclocking the memory at all. The card is completely silent and I had read that the VRM circuitry overheated but I haven't had any such problems with a max VRM temp of 77c in Sleeping Dogs with AA set to extreme. In other high-end games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 and newer games like Assassin's Creed 4 the VRM temp was around 63-65c with the actual core temp lower than that.

18. LayZ

LayZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X
    Got the Sapphire Dual-X version...doesn't look like I'll be hitting 1100 anytime soon... :(

19. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    What can you get it to?

20. iafro89

iafro89 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII
    Been getting artifacts in Gw2 and only Gw2; it seems to be a driver issue and not bad memory but I can't be sure. Also it seems like a few people on newegg and gw2 forum and having similar issues.