R9 280x Owners Thread & overclocking discussion!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by StealBalls, Nov 3, 2013.

1. StealBalls

StealBalls Banned

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Hi,

Nvidia section seems to have owners threads n stuff I never see any here - decided to give one a go.

These cards in my opinion offer fantabulous value for money and I think deserve some good discussion!

Lets open up with some Overclocks!

I have 2x MSI (Gaming Edition - lol) I use Afterburner atm and currently I have not pushed to see a max o/c but I am currently at 1120Mhz core - stock memory.

Very happy with that but naturally I will always push as far as I can, later on.

Lovely quiet cards and cool as well - my first from MSI, very pleased.

2. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    You're not having any issues with crashing and freezing?

3. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

I just got a gigabyte r9 280x oc. I am not planning on oc'ing the card as it runs at 1100/6000 stock. That's enough power for me.

4. Dumaw

Dumaw Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0
    I read in another forum that Gigabyte is going to release a new BIOS for the R9 280X some time this month, prabably enabling the new features and maybe something to do with the temps, fan rotation and stuff

That would be nice

5. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

Cool. any help in a bios would be welcome.

6. Maye

Maye Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 GxTrio
    Seems as they did release Bios Updates:

http://www.gigabyte.de/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4793#bios

however ,they seem to be known at techpowerup.com.

only thing i noticed is the increased base clock of 50mhz ,and it says UEFI Support. - Unfornutately not working for cards with the F31 Bios,yet.

Maybe it is yet to come,but let's see.

7. Dumaw

Dumaw Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0
    Edited, subject for a new thread.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I thought it strange there were more than one bios series already, so I investimigated (not really a word, it means a half-arsed investigation).

So:
    GV-R928XOC-3GD/F3 states:
    (C) 1988-2010, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. ATOMBIOSBK-AMD VER015.036.000.006.000000 R928XO3D.F3 956094 274234 GBT_TAHITI_XT_L_39_DDR5_3G_D

and the R928XO3D.F12 states:
    (C) 1988-2010, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. ATOMBIOSBK-AMD VER015.039.000.001.000000 R928XO3D.F12 949526 274283 GBT_TAHITI_XT_R928_10_EDW60_3G_37

9. saif

saif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DualX OC
    Anyone else experienced these jumps during internet browsing? should i worry?

jumps from 150-300 stock to 500-1500 (core-memory respectively)

[​IMG]

10. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    That's nothing to be concerned about. The clocks go to 500/1500 when flash video is being played.

11. asskicker2

asskicker2 Member Guru

GPU:
    b
    It's odd that they have multiple BIOS' isn't it? I was looking to update mine but as you said, there is no update for F31, only for F2 and F11.

12. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 280x
    I have the 280x winforce mine Wont let me play games more than 5-10 mins it crashes a lot reading it up its common too

13. Maye

Maye Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 GxTrio
    Hm... might be bad luck, mine is running rock solid so far, but didn't try to OC yet, cuz i'm not sure if my 530Watt Be quiet is able to provide enough juice on its pci-e rails.

14. jonsevc

jonsevc New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280X OC
    Mine is F31 too.

so.. i think we should wait, right?

15. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    My new HIS overclocked with base voltage up to 1180/1640 and 1215/1740 with 1,300 vddc and mvddc 1,575. Asic is 60,3%. Default vddc is 1,256. Good or bad oc?

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Hello!

I'm posting here because I'm considering getting one of these bad boys myself (with the green team still atm, sorry). A bit off topic then as I'm not an owner, yet...

The thing is, I've been told by several to go for the sapphire toxic edition, which I probably will (good?).

However, I've found a "weird" one from Finnish Pixmania:

http://www.pixmania.fi/naytonohjain...ddr5-pci-express-naytonohjain/21863031-a.html

it looks like the toxic edition, but it actually is something called a "Tri-X" edition, clocked slightly lower. Look at the box art closely. Tri-X cooler should be exclusive to the toxic edition, but this is not the TE.

Sapphires website isn't listing anything like this, yet the box art seems legit.

Anyone heard of this? What's the difference to a toxic edition? Or is the Tri-X just a toxic in disguise?

Also, I recall reading in Anandtechs review of the toxic edition that it cannot be voltage tweaked. So getting the Tri-X card instead could be a better alternative if it can be voltage tweaked.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, I want to buy this card but also want to buy the right one.

edit: typoes corrected.
    edit2: and then some...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  17. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    @AsiJu

Probably it is Toxic and wrong specs or not. Personally I would buy anything from pixmania. If you want great cooling and silent card go for HIS or Asus TOP/Matrix.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    @miiksu

yeah, I thought so too that there's probably just wrong specs or outdated boxart.

I'll think and see what to do. A lot of people have recommended the sapphire toxic and pixmania has the cheapest pricing atm.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Compared to other options, I found the his turbo was competitively priced. Not only was it the one I wanted, it was also pretty much the cheapest lol

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Pixmania has the cheapest price for the toxic edition in Finland atm.

Also, a non-overclocked sapphire sells for as "little" as 250 €.
    I'm currently upgrading my pc to haswell generation and am considering also upgrading my graphics card (currently GTX 560Ti 448, specs are wrong in my profile).