R9 280x + HD5970 ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Psychlone, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Hey guys, it's been a VERY long time since I upgraded and I just picked up a Diamond R9 280x for a steal of a price.

I really hate the idea of throwing my dual GPU 2GB 5970 in a computer that's not going to get used, and was wondering if anyone knows if you can crossfire cards that are that far apart?
    I know it used to be the norm that ONLY cards of the same generation could be crossfired, but wondered if that changed...

I'd LOVE to crossfire my old 5970 Engineering Sample with my new R9 280x if it's possible at all.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Psychlone

2. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    def not possible man.. completely different arch and series.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It's right and wrong at same time.
    While AMD does not allow such kind of crossfirex it is technically possible as cfx is software method.
    It would take one thing to implement and that is to limit feature set to lowest available which is DX11 for 5970.

Reason why AMD does not even try to do something this simple and easy is quite difference in performances:
    HD5000 (vliw5) has like 1/3~1/4 tesselation performance of GCN with the same number of compute units.
    Each technology has different kind of texture filtering which would result in different IQ on frames from each GPU

It basically means that resulting cfx would be only as good as weakest part and if each gpu had to render one full frame then you would constantly swap between 2 levels of quality which would look awful.

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I certainly understand the difference between generations - that's long been the thing with crossfire.
    It's too bad - I was hoping not to have to junk the 5970 Engineering Sample - it is still a beast of a card. Besides that - the ability to run 6 monitors at the same time (2 on the 5970 and 4 on the R9 280X) would be great!

Any other input is appreciated!
    Psychlone