r9 270x downclocking to prevent overheating

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by souvikdas7, May 27, 2014.

1. souvikdas7

souvikdas7 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 270X DD 2gb
    i recently bought the xfx r9 270x dd 2gb and installed it with 14.4 drivers.. i installed the gpu z to check the temps on the card it showed 41 on idle and 70c+ on 100 load but i noticed the core clock only reaches 450 mhz and the meory clock reaches 1400mhz on load. I heard that if core clock dont reach the max speed then games will lag but in my case the games dont lag even if the core clock only reaches 450mhz. If i keep my pc off for some time and then start it and immediately start a game the core clock reaches 1050mhz and temps 100 -102c and fan speed 100% and i can hear the fan spinning loudly. So can anybody tell whats happening to my gpu and why it is running at 450mhz and the games dont lag not even watch dogs.

2. m38930

m38930 Guest

I have the same GPU, and have high temp's as well. I have never monitored core speed or temp while playing a game, but after the game was over I opened GPUZ and seen the high temps with the clock at 450Mhz. I haven't experienced any lag either. I'm no expert, and what I'm about to say is just my thought's on it and my opinion's though I could be wrong. From what I've read, and my understanding of it different brands use different aftermarket cooling and XFX's cooling isn't the best. That's why I plan to return to using Sapphire cards. Never had a problem with them temp wise, and my last one worked excellently. As for the core clock, to my knowledge (Again I'm no expert and I could be wrong.) it rev's up as it needs the speed, and the version of the PCI slot may play a part in it as well whether it's 2.0 or 3.0. Mine are 2.0 slots, luckily PCI is backwards compatible. Hope this helps.

3. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    After you close the game the GPU activates 2D clocks, so it is useless to look at it then.

You have to leave GPU-Z running in the background and watch the graphics, to monitor the peaks. Indeed, the clock raises as the need for speed get stronger.

About the high temps, use RadeonPRO to customize the FAN level for each game.
    Forcing V-Sync + TP will reduce GPU load, it will cause less heat.

I don't know a lot about the R9 270X, but 70ยบ max is a good temp IMHO.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. m38930

m38930 Guest

I didn't know that about 2D clocks. lol Still learning, and as I said I'm no expert. :p I mainly just used GPUZ to monitor temps rather than core clock speed, my games always played fine so I never really worried about the speed and I don't OC so everything is at stock. I have had a few games crash though due to GPU temp. I tried everything related to fan speed, even cranked them up manually to 100% and I have a case fan on the side of the PC case beside the card to help it as well. Temp's are still high for me, mine idles at 50c, and goes way above 60-70 under load. I know these aren't considered over the top temps for these cards, but my previous Sapphire cards rarely went above 50c. I live in a hot climate, and for me the brand I found that really handles temps good is Sapphire. Not to say XFX isn't a good brand because it is, and granted I haven't tried that many brands, but aside from a minor fan adjustment Sapphire is the only brand so far I have found that rarely goes above 50c while still remaining stock for me anyway in my climate.

5. souvikdas7

souvikdas7 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 270X DD 2gb
    can u pls check the core clock on the 3rd consecutive game after the pc starts. In my case the core clock runs at maximum speed on the 1st game after the comp starts. And after that it runs at max 450mhz from the second game.

6. m38930

m38930 Guest

Okay, I just tested it on 3 games. Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Thief. On Tomb Raider the first game I tried it remained at 450Mhz. I had the game completed, but was free roaming. On the next two it throttled between 450Mhz and 1050Mhz but mostly remained at 1050Mhz like normal as it needed the speed. I think those are some pretty demanding games. It was my first time monitoring it with GPUZ, but I had it log the results to a file so I know it was correct.

7. souvikdas7

souvikdas7 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 270X DD 2gb
    Thanks man for the reply. When my clock goes to 1050 at the 1st game after the comp starts the temps goes to 100c and the games runs normally. From the second game onwards the clocks stays at 450mhz max at the temp stays betweeen 70 - 80 but i dont get any lag in games. Actually i only have 3 games with me i.e. dota 2,war thunder and watch dogs. Watch dogs is the most intensive game and it still runs at 450mhz without any lag.

8. m38930

m38930 Guest

Anytime, just glad I could be of help. Those are good games, and you're right Watch Dogs is the most intensive among the three. To be running at 450Mhz with smooth gameplay is impressive, but the 270X is a good card and it rev's up as more speed is needed. :) Granted these cards are designed to withstand high temp's and mine runs hot as well but has only topped 80 or 90 once to my knowledge when I ran a render test that stressed it. I take it you live in a hot climate as well? As long as the temp's don't effect performance or cause any issues though I wouldn't worry

9. souvikdas7

souvikdas7 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 270X DD 2gb
    I live in a climate the temps are 40c and i dont have a problem if everygame runs on 450mhz without any lag. I heard about these 2d and 3d clocks. According to that the max clocks are used in 3d clocks and 2d clocks on minimum load and i also heard that force constant voltage in msi afterburner can keep the gpu on 3d clocks forever but i need to know about this option and be sure about it.

10. souvikdas7

souvikdas7 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 270X DD 2gb
    I noticed this new thing that after starting my comp if i run msi combustor its shows me 200+ frames and the temp goes 100c and after some time the clock goes to 450mhz and the frames become 150+ and the temp 70+c. What is this now???

11. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    its doing whats its supposed to do....trying to keep the card from overheating...mine will actually start to throttle in the 80's if its overclocked but lower down to stock clock or even lower...I have never found an actual game that stresses the card enough to raise temps that high.....so for playing games it not a real issue for me

try the occt video test.....it will do the same thing in around 10 min and i can watch the gpu clocks throttling down after a while....long as game are playing fine then nothing to worry about...and bf4 only brings mine to about 70 at most

I will say this and took mine apart and applied Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme To mine the correct way and it did help with my temps just to be on the safe side

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  12. chuck216

chuck216 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB
    One thing that may be an issue is poor case airflow, if you can get rid of the hot air fast enough the fans on your videocard just recycle hot air and a card can only be as cool as the air around it