R9 270x Crossfire or R9 280x ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tahirahmed, Feb 17, 2014.

1. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB
    Hi everyone,

I am thinking about the next graphic card upgrade for my system and need your advice on it.

Initially I decided to went for dual R9 270x, I also found some very nice reviews about their combined performance but reading more about Crossfire and SLI I found that dual card systems tend to be more problematic like having driver issues, compatibility with games, performance scaling and worst of all micro stuttering, I certainly don't want to face micro stuttering with my new setup.

So I shifted my mind towards R9 280x (Don't have budget for R9 290x, so that's out of option).

Now the thing is I haven't actually experienced Crossfire or SLI personally, I only used single card setups, mostly high end like currently I have Sapphire Radeon 6970 2 GB. So I am not sure what I read on internet about CF or SLI is true or not, the more I read it the more it gets difficult for me to decide.

Can somebody tell me which option is better and less prone to issues ? and does CF or SLI has inherit flaw of micro stuttering ?

NOTE: My gaming resolution is 1920x1080 and I would like to run possible demanding games like The Witcher 3 as high as possible (no overkilling of course).

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would go for the 280x.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    How much does each configuration cost?

4. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    @---TK---

Thanks for the advice, is there any particular reason for 280x or it's only because dual card setups tend to have more problems ?

@yasamoka

Well checking from one of my local stores, a single 270x will cost me 1025 SR (~273 USD) so two of them will cost 2050 (~546 USD) while a single 280x is 1575 SR (~420 USD).

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    Single card will have fewer issues than multi-gpu. If you really want multi-gpu, most users have fewer issues with SLI than Crossfire,,,,

6. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I'm using CF for years now without much problems. The worst issue I had was that a certain game did not support it. If you want to avoid that go for a single card.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Also, CF (not sure about SLI) needs games to run in Fullscreen mode (at least last I looked into it) to utilize the 2nd card. I like being able to multi-task without waiting for the game to minimize & all that.
    Just my two cents.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    So does SLi. In fact, BF4 in Mantle mode supports CrossFire in windowed mode since it implements its own AFR.

9. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Thank you guys, I think I should stick to single card config, I will go for R9 280X. So my last question, do you think R9 280X will be sufficient for coming next-gen games ? From what I have seen it's a rebranded 7970 with couple of improvements, so that architecture is still enough for demanding games ?

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There are no improvements in chip itself. It will handle everything just fine if you are not SSAA crazy.
    I am usually mad about not enough CPU power to pull 120fps in everything. For 60 fps it's optimal card with almost any CPU.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sli works in windowed mode no problem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OP I do not recommend 2 mid range gpu`s in sli or xfire because if the game does not support multi gpu all you have is 1 midrange card

12. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Hello guys and sorry for late replying here,

I increased my budget and purchased a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X. The fact that 280x and 270x are just re branded 7000 series cards was bothering me so I think this card is more future proof and new architecture wise.

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    Yea you made a good choice. :)

I'm in the same boat, i'll be gaming on 2560x1080 so i thought CF will be more powerful.

I somehow agree that CF/SLI has issues, but all the big titles will have non, or will get fixed anyway.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    @TK: that's great to know. Windowed mode is essential for a few things, so it's good that SLi works in that mode.

15. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    TK, are you sure there is actually usage going on the second card in windowed mode? It looks like there is based on Clocks and temp on GPU2, but that's the first evidence I've ever head or seen that SLI/CFX works in windowed mode. I know it certainly does not in CFX.

Personally, I've always thought that getting a fast single card, then adding a second card when prices come down makes for a great mid-build refresh.

My 4870 CF build lasted me all the way until the 7970 was released, and I would have expected this 6950 build to last a good long while as well (had I not accidentally killed one the cards a week ago through a mixture of bad luck and stupidity).

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That green bar you see in the pics is the sli indicator graph. sli is humming

17. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Oh, I see it now. I'm used to doing all of my monitoring using afterburner and indicators on a second screen.

18. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Can't you purchase single custom 290 for around 546USD, considering price is ok with you?
    280x is just rebranded 2 years old 7970.

I'd strongly suggest to go for at least 290, since you will provide you with much better performance and its much more future proof.

nvm, missed your post of purchase. Thats the best custom 290 around. Have fun with your card!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  19. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Thank you guys :)

@sverek

Yes I went for that card, cost me a bit more than that (thanks to those little miners out there) but I think it was the right decision considering it's much more future proof. The most impressive things I found in this card are noise and temps. My 6970 used to run on 85 degs while gaming and sounded like a hair dryer. This 290 however stay between 65 - 70 degs and doesn't make any audible sound though the card itself is very long and heavy (12'') and came quite close to the drive bay of my Storm Sniper case.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014