R700 Spartan 4870 X2 Info + Launch Date Aug. 12th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Launch date is Aug. 12th, 2008, clocks TBA

http://forums.************/showthread.php?t=299884

Report Micro-Stuttering gone with the R700

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3132311&postcount=469

Also, GTX 280 55nm shrink is ahead of schedual according to rumors/sources, possibly within 1 month of R700 launch date.

Price of the 2GB version of the X2 is US$549 and for 1GB $499 at the current time.

**Edit thanks morbias, I had a 449 not 549 there...And since the website is **** out, it originally came from tomshardware.tw or something (watermark on the picture) I dont know if THG is blocked so if it is you can just delete this part of the edit.

**Add - I should also add that they say 650watt minimum PSU and it will use 8pin+6pin.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Are you sure those prices are the right way around?

3. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    Lol Spartan :) any benchmarks ? upper link not working :(

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    No, it wasn't benchmarks, just slides on the R700 spartan apparently from AMD, full of marketing information and the like. The source watermark said Tomshardware from Tiwian, never went there to see if they have it posted.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I am SO looking forward to the launch of this thing! If the microstuttering is indeed gone, ATI may very well have a winner on their hands. About time!

6. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    And they need it and they've probably got it.

Is it GDDR5 for both 1 and 2GB flavours?

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Yes, the 4870 X2 will be GDDR5 only and the 4850 X2 (a month or so later) will be GDDR3 only.

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    You getting one John ?

9. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    MMMMM i like the sounds of this

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Very likely, yeah. I've been waiting for ATI to strike back again for a long time, and this time I think they might have struck jackpot. I've always preferred ATI over nVidia, but I'm no fanboy or anything of the likes - I just buy whatever gives me the best performance for my money. But I'll admit, ATI has been very close to my heart since the Radeon 9800 Pro, which is the best card I've ever owned :)

A new graphics card is the last upgrade I will do to my rig before I do a full overhaul at Nehalem launch. Except harddrives, perhaps.

11. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Good good, might get one too HOPEFULLY early after launch

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    You don't need anymore HDDs John!

I am waiting for a confirmed UK price, but so long as it is no more than £300 for the 2GB version, I will be snapping it up straight away. Unfortunately, I think it will be £350 or there abouts.

Only time will tell I guess.

13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Of course I do :p My plan is an additional 2x 1TB internal and 1x 1TB external for the laptop. Unavoidable upgrades with today's low HDD prices.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't know what the euro conversion is for US $ but I am pretty sure it is not going to be over $549 for 2GB version for MSRP, dont know what the etailers are going to charge (if they will mark up or what).

I am in a similar situation to most of the people on the boards, I'm on the verge of upgrading. I have to find if my friend wants to buy my old board/CPU/GPU or not, if he does I'm going to do a full system replace. But if I do that, I am not sure what I'm going to get. I was thinking of getting a P43 or P45 board with a Q9540 or Q9300 as I really want PCI-E 2.0 and wont need CF with the X2, but the boards seem rather unstable right now. And I wouldnt mind staying with AMD and just upgrading my MB then getting a Deneb 45nm Phenom when they come out, but I don't really want to get a MB without the SB750 south bridge, so unless they come out before the R700 I guess I am going the more expensive route of getting a Q9450/9300 (if they are even out that long).

15. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    It looks long and slim. Pretty weird.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    You do know what an "addiction" is, don't you John? :p
    I honestly cannot see how you could need an ADDITIONAL 3TB. What would that bring the total to now? I sort of don't even want to ask!

P45 board unstable? Are you joshing me? I was under the impression they are some of the best boards around!

It looks like I am going for a Q9450 with an X48 board. Problem is, I want a DDR3, X48 (or X38 if needs be) board that overclocks like a monster and looks the ****. The Maximus II Formula seems to fill the final desire very nicely (honestly, best looking board I have ever seen), but it is a P45 board and does not use DDR3. So unless they bring one out in the next few months, I'm all out of ideas.

Anywho, we typically pay two thirds of the USD price in GBP over here (IIRC, the 4870 is $300, and we pay about £200). So at a price of $550, I should expect to pay between £350 and £400, which is just way too much. The 1GB version should be buyable, but I would rather the 2GB due to the massive bandwidth of the card. I suppose I will wait until they are released to make an educated decision.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Why would anyone want a 2GB graphics card? Thats just silly talk, unless you have a 30" 2560x1600 monitor your never going to see or use the difference from 1GB.

18. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    i think i'll get a 2gb card JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT woooooooooooooooooo :p

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    The point is, this card is going to have to last me a long time, and with such incredible bandwidth, having only 1GB between the two GPUs seems to be a tad on the short side IMO. You can see the 280 GTX pull ahead at higher resolutions and with lots of AA simply because it has more memory. Even the though the 4870 has such incredible bandwidth, it can still only use as much memory as it has got.

But I digress; I am purely speculating, and will wait for some actual benchmarks and results before I make up my mind. For all I know I could be horribly wrong, and 2GB could not be needed for 5 or more years.

20. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I think a lot of people forget that DX10 allows textures four times bigger than DX9, when devs start using that ability to its full extent, the more memory your graphics card has, the better.