R7 250X IS IT THE PROBLEM?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by maor, Mar 13, 2019.

1. maor

maor New Member

GPU:
    R7 250X 2GB GD5
    Hello, hope everyone is well.
    I posted here few months ago, about a GIGABYTE R7 25XOC 2GB GDD5, which I was wondering why it makes blue screen ,freezes or crash,(display driver crashed and had to recover) mostly when opening steam , or when I was playing Ghost Recon wild-lands.
    after awhile it got stable, and could play GRW without crashing , but on steam couldn't play ,used to crash all the time.
    in my old thread I was asked few questions so the answers are - it is 2nd hand, but seems to work very well most of the time, looked new. original gigabyte(I assume).
    the reason I have it is because it is one of the very few cards that fits with my cpu (i5 660) without bottleneck.
    and seemed to be powerful enough for what I need and could afford.

I noticed that if I install the radeon driver as it is, the radeon program makes it freeze too, so on youtube someone posted that it is better to do a manual setup using 7zip, which helped and stopped it from crashing from the RADEON prog' . but still kept crashing with steam and games I tried to play from steam.
    the last crashing started few days ago , when trying to play mafia 3, at start I could play, but then I unplugged the HDMI cable ,left with the vga cable only, and since then ...I crashed the game everytime.
    tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers ,the game , steam ... nothing helps.... no idea what to do

when installing a driver , must I first install the manufacturer driver for the card first, and then the AMD DRIVER?

can you recommend on a stable driver for me?

can you advise please? I have no clue of what to do....
    thank you

2. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Did you do a clean install of Radeon drivers?

What version mobo bios are you running? You may need to update the bios.
    OS?

3. maor

maor New Member

GPU:
    R7 250X 2GB GD5
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    at least for now.... my gpu is OC by default
    after many different tests and installations...
    I encountered a post for mad max , where he said that turning down the OC , to the basic core speed will solve the problem. well... it did but only for MAD MAX. it did not work for this one.
    so I tried to reduce the memory speed too. and took both of them down just below 1000 mhz....
    IT WORKED!
    no crashing for now , and the pc and the game well for now.
    thank you for your help , and I hope this solution will be helpful for others too

Embra likes this.