r600 xtx pictured and benchmarked

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by John Dolan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    For what i have see, it's coolers is for one or some specific manufacturers of Prébuild PC.. ( Some say Apple), they have not the place for use the GPU with the 2 slots coolers, or they have not the place for a good refresh.. But i can make a misstake.. In real i don't know.. But if you look when you have 2 GPU's, and use stock cooler, the air use by the fan is automatically heat by the GPU inside.. having the fan at the back of the card, totally out of the PCB, can offer a better refresh for the cards..

Now.. i don't know.. perhaps they was not get the final cooler at this time..

Again it's perhaps a misstake i don't know.. when a card is not out yet, diffcult to say..

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    thing is, also the oem cooler is dual slot, so that is definitly not the reason. the fan not pulling in warm air does make sense, but would the difference be that big?

3. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    i wouldn't think it would matter that much, I think It's just to help stabilize the weight in a workstation, since those cases aparantly have room or a hook or something to hold the other end. Then they can make the Heatsink a little longer too since the fan is not in the way.

4. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    It's just too bad the card has been pushed back till may.

5. danroyle

danroyle Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 460 1gb 800/1600
    a little disappointed with the increase in power over nvidia as they have had all this extra time with it

i think i'd go with nvidia for dx10 mostly as the stock coolers on ati cards recently have been shockingly noisy and the heat as well not good

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I will never get a card that will suck 240W power, that's just ridiculous. It is really bad engineering, especially if it is about as fast as G80 (even with über pricey 512bit 1GB memory). Poor engineering. It should be 2x faster than G80 with those specs and power usage. AMD:peeleft:.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    As my suggestions suggested. R600 was crap compared to G80 so they had to pump out insane frequencies, which of course bring insane voltages and insane heating and power consumption. And for what? 200 points gain? Sorry but thats just lame. I'll wait for tests of retail card but so far it looks very poor considering it should be way faster judging by those specs.

8. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Dear God. Between your post and Anarion's, I don't know where to start. Your suggestions are pure conjecture and cannot be taken seriously.

1. The freaking card hasn't even been released yet. NOBODY knows how it's going to perform.

2. The most likely reason why the R600 has been delayed is due to power leakage issues and low yields. There are credible rumors around the 'Net that they are going to switch to a 65nm process. This will not only enable very high clockspeeds, it will also significantly lower the power requirements.

3. The 200 point increase is highly, highly suspect to change. The drivers that they were most likely using are immature, to put it mildly. Hell, Nvidia STILL can't get it's act together regarding it's drivers and the 8800's have been out since November.

People have got to stop jumping the gun. Wait for reviews from credible sources using final retail cards and official drivers before passing judgment. Is it really that hard to do?

I swear, if Jen-Hsun Huang told some of you to go play in traffic, you would immediately check Mapquest to find the nearest Interstate. :whip:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  9. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    humans are like that satch, always trying to get to know everything as fast as possible, and are keen to accept anything that comes out prematurely as fact. just normal human behavior.

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I know kwak, it's just incredibly annoying. If some people had a clue, they would be happy if the R600 turns out to be a great card. That creates more competitive pressure on Nvidia and the consumer ends up the winner.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Ugh, riiight...

12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well, r600 better be 20% faster at the same price as 8800gtx, or 20% cheaper and match 8800gtx in performance, or they are screwed. I'm going to hold judgement until multiple reviewers get a hold of this card. If they actually do go to 65nm soon, that would bring the 20% performance boost.

13. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    We shall see. I just wish people would quit jumping to conclusions. And you're right, it better be faster or cheaper or ATI just screwed the pooch on this one.

14. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    This is a benchmark done on a r600 at 80nm with unfinished drivers. At 65nm they can clock the R600 much higher. En with finished drivers they will have a nice performance boost. Look at the driver that had 30% more fps in opengl games. And besides 3dmark lmao :p. Lets wait for games like crysis to benchmark. I'm 100% sure the R600 will have much better performance then they say on vr-zone. ATI ain't stupid, they have gddr4 memory on a 512bit bus, high core clock, and so on... It seems impossible to me that a card with gddr3 memory on a 384 bit bus would have the same performance as the R600. Yes i know optimisation is everything. But we all know ati knows how to do optimalisations. They also don't tell us the driver version they used.

15. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    that would depend on how sensitive the applications are to memory bandwith. i can imagine that shader-intensive games won't be that dependend on mem bandwith any more.

16. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Yup, bandwidth has more to do with textures. Shaders use way less memory.

17. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    Yes but look at this. The G80 has 128 shader pipelines. The R600 has 64 shader pipelines. But the R600 can do 4 times as much shader operations per sec as a G80. Therefor the R600 has "256" shaders. Or something like that. I'm pretty sure ati did a good job. Just like the ringbus they invented with the x1 series.

18. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    im not too sure those x4 shaders are a good thing. the geforce fx series had x2 shaders, and look what happened to that. but what you say about the ringbus memory controller is absolutely correct, that is a superb thing.

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    The thing is, the 256 shaders don't scale to be exactly twice as fast. So nobody knows for sure how much better it handles shaders(if it even does). I'm getting tired of waiting, they need to release at least some little info about it.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Thanks for the post. I was hoping for some info on the R600 but shady benchmarks about a version of the R600 (the 80nm) that will never see the light of day using unknown beta drivers is just silly. AMD screwed up making it 80nm to begin with if they expected to really outmuscle nVidia.

AMD must be under a lot of pressure right now with Intel breathing down their necks from the right with Core 2 Duos and nVidia breathing down their necks from left with the 8800 series.

I always go for the best value ignoring brand names but I can't help but feel bad for AMD right now considering if anything happens to them (which is highly unlikely) Intel and nVidia would be free to destroy the earth with preposterous product prices. Not to mention if there was no competitor they would slack off and later products would disappointing.