R290(x) Closed Loop Cooler adatpers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    There was a guy who used to make adapter brackets really cheap (dwood), but is no longer doing it. Does anyone know where you could get an adapter bracket for the R290 to use a closed loop cooler like the H60?

I really thinking about getting the card, but its pointless without water cooling and I really don't have the case space (or money) to build a custom water loop, especially considering I'm already using an H100 on my CPU and I love it.

2. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I am also thinking of doing this, I have the dwood adapter on a 670 right now with an H60 and am thinking of a 290(x) and using it.

I am going to wait till end of month, I hope I can hold out and maybe custom cooler versions are out and an even better price on Black Friday.

3. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti 2063/6180
    No idea but if you what a aio watercooler ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid is what im going to go with... btw i see your from South Dakota too. What city you in?

4. Ecurb

Ecurb Member

GPU:
    Radeon 290X 4GB @ XFire
    Hey guys,

I currently have 4 x 680's running the Arctic Accellero Hybrid and they were excellent on these cards. The 680's are all 4GB versions and memory barely could be OC before these. Afterwards i was able to run the 770 bios which allowed 7ghz (from 6ghz) memory OC and also a nice healthy core clock of 1240ish on all 4 cards. The top temps i ever saw were 50c in Crysis 3 after long sessions. (1600p Very High with SMAA MGPU 2x)

I did enhance the stock Accelero as follows:

1. Use of alphacool vram heatsinks (15mm x 15mm) for all vram modules front and back of card, larger surface area and better quality than accelero ones.

2. i used the vrm heatsinks that came with the Accelero package.

3. I threw out the plastic shroud and fan as all my cards are back to back and had no room with quad sli and saw little benefit.

4. To get airflow onto the vram and vrm heatsinks, i used 4 x corsair 120mm performance fans in a 2 x 2 (square) configuration over all 4 cards. This ensured low temps on vrms and vram.

5. The Accelero radiator's each had Push / Pull fan configuration using Noctua fans with high static pressure.

As mentioned this let me OC the cards well, the memory well and the voltage raised as much as i could do via software only.

I have just picked up 2 x 290x's today which i will run stock until the weekend at which point i will be giving them the same treatment as the 680's with regard too cooling.

I'll report back here what OC I can get on memory and core with increased voltage and what temps are like.

I'm not expecting 50c as these cards are 300w monsters, i'd expect 60-70c depending on clocks / voltage within safe levels.

Will let you know how it goes :)

Ecurb

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid sounds awesome except I see no listing that it fits the R290 or even the 7970, anyone got any ideas?

NVM from their site

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You need the model that was discontinued for the 7970.... Accelero Hybrid 7970 However, there's no guarantee that it would fit an R9 290(X) as they're 2 different GPUs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186083

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    You sure? According to this page http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-hybrid.html

It says this:

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    There's 2 different models for the Accelero Hybrid. One is specific to the early 7900 series cards. The other works for the later 7900 series cards and the new R9 series. The one specific to the early 7900 series cards was discontinued. I did a bit of reading after my last post. Just hadn't had time to correct it.

9. Ecurb

Ecurb Member

GPU:
    Radeon 290X 4GB @ XFire
    Guys i'll be throwing my Accelero's i had on the 680s on this weekend. The one thing I'm a bit worried about is the VRM cooling performance of the included arctic heatsinks (i use large alphacool ones from vram) im hoping the arctic ones plus the 4 x120mm corsair fans i have blowing downwards will keep temps in check on that front. No problems on the 680s with them but these new cards are monsters :) I'll let you know how the whole thing goes and results.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Accelero tiny heatsinks for VRMs are bad. As for hybrid 7900 and new one. they basically do little mods only. And that's by hiving different set of passives.

Hybrid has altogether bit better VRM cooling than Xtreme, since it does not blow hot air on PCB and has more space with proper airflow around VRMs.

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    So you would agree that the one they sell now, if it says works on the R290, would or you still think it wont?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It should. The issue with the 7900 series was that the GPU was set lower, thus requiring a shim (or a raise section on the heatsink itself). It appears as though AMD has corrected this issue. The currently marketed Accelero Hybrid would actually work with my 7950....though I opted for an Accelero Twin Turbo II. If you go to the "Support" page for the Accelero Hybrid, it explains the compatibility issue with the HD7900 series.

http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-hybrid.html