1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quit smokin ?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Zer0K3wL, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I haven't smoked for over 2 years now. I used to go through 50g of rolling tobacco a week. One night I just thought 'sod this' and threw my baccy away. A few days later I had what can only be described as a massive panic attack, my heart rate was going like mad and I could hardly stand, it was so bad we ended up getting an ambulance. The paramedics said it was cold turkey from quitting smoking and did a good job of calming me down. Pretty hair raising though, I thought I was dying. Been fine since and not touched a cig.

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i've never smoked nor even tried, but a couple of friends who quit smoking said that they felt an urge the 1st couple of days, followed by headache and feeling angry about even the smallest thing (spill a glass of water for example), sometimes also nausea but never vomit.

one managed to quit completely, the other failed and stopped trying (n00b) lol

edit: oh yeah, the friend who managed to quit completely now can run up/down stairs without panting, also he stopped coughing and spit crappy stuff.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. strad

strad Banned

GPU:
    8800GT | Samsung 244T 24"
    cold turkey is a reference to one of the withdrawal symptoms suffered by opiate addicts during withdrawal

the user develops "goose bumps" or "goose flesh" which looks like cold turkey

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Smoked for 12 years, between ages of 14 and 26.
    Most I smoked was about a pack a day, but on average I would say 2/3rds or half pack a day.

Quitting smoking for me was insanely easy. So easy that I can't for the life of me understand how it could be so hard for some people.
    And then I came to the realization that I know to be the truth.
    You can only ever stop smoking when you make the decision that you just don't want to do it anymore. Thats all.

Let me explain. Most people try to quit because they are pushed to by other factors. A spouse, the price of smokes, etc etc. But quitting for those reasons makes quitting smoking not on your own terms. In order to quit smoking for YOU and to stay quit, you need to put your foot in the sand and say "that's it. I'm sick of smoking and I don't want to do it anymore". Once you make that commitment it is SO much easier to stick with it its amazing.

All I did to quit was get really mad at cigerettes one day, and smoke a bunch. I felt so sick by the end of the day, I decided that was it. I left a pack of smokes half full on my dresser where they would always be in reach. But I didn't take any. I left them there to remind myself that sure I could grab a smoke, but I would not. Give it a couple weeks and I had forgotten all about smoking.
    My bank account and my lungs and my fiance are all very thankful :)

I guess its possible that people could go through "withdrawl" and all that, but I sure as $hit didn't.. so the whole nic patches and all that to me is just a placebo. If you want something done, put your goddamn mind into it and you can achieve it.. forget anything else.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008

5. strad

strad Banned

GPU:
    very true ^

I have done it for health reasons. My addiction has now swapped from nicotine to getting in shape.

6. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    1 off reasons is ofc for money.
    The other reason is ofc for health smoked 160 euros a month wich is ofc quite a lot.

7. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    well been least 3-4 day's since if not smoked last attemp i started smoking again after 3 day's. altough atm i can hold off pretty easy cous i dont want to smoke either ofc.

8. strad

strad Banned

GPU:
    stop saying ofc its annoying and unnecessary