Quick Windows Sound Speakers Setting Question

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Rich_Guy, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    In the Windows Control Panel, Sound, Speakers, then Configure, ive always set them as Full-range, and Surround, but ive just been reading, that if your speakers come with a subwoofer, then they are generally not Full-range, so should i deselect Full-range, as i do have a Sub ? (Ive just replaced my old Logi. X-530s (which came with a Sub), with a set of the Logi. Z906s (which also come with a Sub).

Im just using the onboard sound on my Giga. X570 Aorus Pro btw.

Been doing some testing, Full-range/Surround Off/On, and sometimes, i think i can hear a difference, and sometimes i can't :p

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thanks for that, but im still non the wiser :p

The frequency response is 35 Hz - 20 KHz (according to the manual, and if im looking at the right thing :p), but ive read some people saying, yes to select Full-range, and no, don't select Full-range :D

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    It depends if the sound system you are connecting to performs bass redirection.
    Read your manual to find out.
    Most analogue surround systems dont so I suspect the same here.

If your sound system does not perform bass redirection you must perform bass redirection on your PC.
    Its quite common to set the subwoofer cutoff to 80Hz but if your main speakers are very small you may need higher.
    All speakers that are not capable of producing bass lower than the cutoff must be set to small. Even if they can produce bass lower than the cutoff it is usually advisable to set them to small when using a subwoofer.
    Any speaker set to large (full range) will not have any of its bass redirected to the subwoofer. If it cannot respond low enough you will lose bass.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Rich_Guy likes this.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The satalite speakers part of the Z906 are far from full range but I think as it's an all-in-one system, it will have a built-in crossover, with the sub handling bass. So even if you sent full range, it will do this internally. But this is just a guess. I would try both ways and see which you prefer, if there's any difference at all.

The satalites are probably 100/200-20,000Hz, but I couldn't find the real specification anywhere.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Rich_Guy likes this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Set them to satelite.. woofer will have bigger omph and work properly

Rich_Guy likes this.
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thanks guys, ive knocked off the Full-range, as it does seem to sound a bit better :)

-Tj- and theoneofgod like this.
  8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Good stuff :D

Rich_Guy likes this.
  9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    :D