Quick questions about SGSSAA

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Stevedroid, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Stevedroid

Stevedroid Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I recently bought a GTX 570 and while I'm playing a little Crysis and Metro 2033 to test it out, I'd also like to try playing some old games with really nice AA. To that end, I'd like to try Sparse Grid Super Sampling (SGSSAA), but I've got a couple questions that weren't really answered in the few guides I saw:

1. If I want to enable sparse grid super sampling AA (using nVidia Inspector), is it enough to just enable whatever level of SGSSAA by itself or do I have to enable it along with the normal AA setting (MSAA)?

2. If I do have to enable both, do they "combine" in some matter such that different levels or MSAA make a difference or does SGSSAA just override the appearance of MSAA? E.g. if I set 2x MSAA and 2x SGSSAA, will that look different than 4x MSAA and 2x SGSSAA?

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    SGSSAA is a new form of transparency it amplifies the already good quality supersampling as far as i know you must use it with normal MSAA...i posted also on guru because im not sure also about the new AA of the gtx 570..in crysis and other games i see better quality in AA, i'm using 8X SGSSAA with ingame 8X AA and it looks awesome

to answer shortly yes you do need to use SGSAA with normal AA to take effect and yes 2x SGSSAA with 4xmsaa will yeld better quality then 2xSGSAA with 2x MSAA

if anyone thinks it's wrong what i said then please enlighten us because im not sure either about this

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. Stevedroid

Stevedroid Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Well I know that SGSSAA actually applies a form of full screen super sampling AA. It's not just transparency AA - despite it being part of the transparency AA setting.

Apparently it was supposed to be for just transparency, but applied to the whole screen as a result of the bug. People liked it, which is why nVidia has kept it around as a "hidden" setting.

This info was in the articles posted about it - they just don't really go into the specifics what all you need to do to enable it. Enabling it without also enabling MSAA didn't seem to produce any effect for me, but I wasn't sure if that was normal.

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    well its not hidden anymore since you can select it in the CP, try using 8x supersampling with 8X aa ingame . for me it adds a nice barely visible fluffy look to crysis lol, i like it that the vegetation looks better with it than with r_useedgeaa 2

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i tried and forced 4xSGSSAA but it made blured image in FEAR2,.. i didnt like it one bit, 2x or 4x ssaa was much better.

6. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    Supersample rocks the end. haha

7. Stevedroid

Stevedroid Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    No, I'm not entirely sure you understand. The transparency supersampling AA option available in the normal control panel is NOT the same as SGSSAA.

The normal transparency supersampling option in the control panel of current driver sets does correctly apply to transparent textures only. SGSSAA applies to the whole screen.

SGSSAA can currently only be enabled via nVidia Inspector or the separate SGSSAA tool from nVidia found here.

As you can see in the support article it says the introduction of full screen supersampling was a bug, but they kept it in the drivers so people can use it - you can't access it normally though.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  8. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    ooh, i tought the SS from the CP is actually SGSSAA , don't know why i have this image in my head that with the first gtx 570 drivers in the CP it showed SGSSAA instead of SS thats why i was stuck with this ideaa.

now i saw with the inspector that when i enable SGSSAA it shows "Custom" in the CP at supersampling.

i like it very much,it makes the screen all fluffy XD , it doesnt apply on it's own tough...in oblivion i had to enable normal aa also for example