Quick question: newer gen GPU for 600W PSU

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Chess, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Yeap, I did a woopsy.

I went from a 400W to a 600W Corsair SFF psu.
    Should've gone with the 700w model...

Can any of you think of a good new gen ( preferably RX6800 vanilla ) card that would be okay with 600?
    I know I can just flunk in a standard 6800 but I'd like one that officially doesn't need a min 650W PSU.

My only other option is hoping that the RX6700 doesn't state min 650 Watt, as I'd like to stay with AMD for this one, SAM and all that.

It's either this, or swapping PSU's again *LeSigh*

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 STRIX
    yup,it's fine for rx6800

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You'd want atleast 700W for rx6800. The card pulls 300w by itself.

4. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    See, this is where it gets conflicted.
    I know that it would work ( spec wise, Sapphire says 650W ), but I don't have anything else connected: a R5 5600X, 2x8Gb 3200 ram, 1 TB Samsung 970 all on a B550.
    That ain't much. No spinning drives, no overclock, no gazzillion fans and never mind ODD's.
    Card itself should pull 230-250. I'm talking standard Pulse, not Nitro+ or other OC card.

So, in a way, you're both right. And I'm on the south side of thebare edge.

For peace of mind I should see what newer, lower specced cards would need.
    I guess I wanted to see if I got lucky and there was a 600W lower end 6800 card somewhere.

Bugger.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    You should understand that while AMD's card stating operation on 250W does not violate this limit in long term unless you change that setting. But all graphics cards have current spikes within time-frame of one rendered image-frame.
    So while average current may be some 21Amps, you should expect current spikes which take few milliseconds capable reaching 30Amps.

Your PSU is one of good ones. And is able to handle 750W+ loads. But power efficiency is not greatest under such loads. And all losses go out in terms of heat.
    If PSU operates in 120V mode, power efficiency can go as low as 89%, that's 20% of input energy lost as heat. Not exactly good in long term.
    If you are on 240V, efficiency is quite better, but even then I would ensure that PSU gets cold air as input. (Sometimes people use PSU as additional way to get hot air from Graphics out of the case. In this situation, I would have intake for PSU from outside of case.)

As for card to pick. In this particular case, I would go for stock 6800 and undervolt. Because any and all AIB cards cost extra while they are not going to provide you with anything better.
    I personally wait for reference 6800 XT as AMD gave promise of continuous production. But to be honest, I would be happy to see any of those cards in shops here.

I think it will be fine as rest of your system is not power hungry. But I would not OC in any way.

Chess likes this.
  6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
  7. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Is it me, or that is a little off...?

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Meant to be 80%.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  9. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I am on 240v and have the platinum version, so I might be i luck. ty for your supporting words :).
    I might just do that. Also checked YT systembuilders and it seems OptimumTech has good experiences with 600w vs a 3080.
    I'll risk it, thanks.

ah yes, thats my own system, sorry. I'm building wifey a system that...yes...way better than mine ^^. She deserves it tho.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    If you have in home one of those watt meter wall sockets, you can easily check what's your current power draw on wall. And factoring efficiency, what's peak power draw of current components inside system.

Chess likes this.

11. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Good for you! :cool:

Going by the chart, you should be fine with a decent 600w PSU, yup)

Chess likes this.
  12. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    for non-xt should be just fine

Chess likes this.