Quick Question: 4870 X2, Do I have to enable Crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TyPe-ZeRo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. TyPe-ZeRo

TyPe-ZeRo Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    In some games I see a massive improvement compared to my old 4850, but in others it's so/so. Do I have to enable crossfire?

2. astrochris

astrochris Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    If you only have a single X2 card you won't even see a crossfire tab in catalyst control center. Just make sure Catalyst AI is enabled and set to standard and you're good to go.

3. TyPe-ZeRo

TyPe-ZeRo Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Yeah that's what I figure. What's advanced do for Catalyst AI? And how come when I right click CCC, I have 4x 4870 X2 menu things?

4. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    I don't know why you have 4, I get 2. You may want to strip your drivers out with a driver cleaner and reinstall them.

As for catalyst AI, some applications will give you marginally more frames per second on 'advanced' setting, others will actually be a little slower. The difference isn't huge though and from my own experience, it's a bit of trial and error for each game to work out the best settings.

5. Krazy Fox

Krazy Fox Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II R
    4x 4870x2

As mentioned. use DriverCleaner to remove all previous ATI drivers which leave ya with standard boot VGA.

I have no idea where 4x (times) comes from.

Then Install the latest ATI Catalyst and Driver from ATI/AMD website.

With one HD4870x2 card .... CrossfireX shouldn't or cannot be ENABLED.

I have 2- HD3870's (not the X2 types) in CrossFireX. I haven't seen anything like the 4x you see.

Good luck!

6. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    cheers all, im after selling my 8800gtx and installing my new sapphire 4870 x2, and I must say it looks to me like theres not much of a performance boost, some games actually dont work any more. Im getting 24 fps in crysis warhead on 1080p with enthusiast settings and 4xaa, and odly enough I get the same 24fps in both the new prince of persia and nfs undercover, games like mirrors edge or devil may cry dont work any more at all...

7. Wolfskin07

Wolfskin07 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    maybe it's because your monitor only supports 1920x1080@25Hz? check the specs on your display.

Cheers!

8. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    This is very likely.

9. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    You did clean your drivers at the very least after changing cards, yes? Because I first changed from an 8800GTX to a single 4870 and there were some very large improvements in performance, let alone when I went Crossfire where it made even larger gaps of over 100% performance increase.

10. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    Hey guys, my tv can handle 60fps np, I've been playing games in 60fps on the 8800gtx. Im after instaling windows again and still nothing:( also when I set the res to 1080p the image doesnt fill the screen, again didnt have that with 8800.... when im installing drivers at the end I get an info from windows that the driver is unsigned and might not work....