Quick Guru3D V4 test run for those interested:

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 15, 2012.

1. JoPa

JoPa Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 TwinFrozr III
    I think it looks really good.

2. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Is advertising psychologically less annoying on the left side?

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Aye, I agree.

Tiny text shadow can make the text more readable, depending what colour the text and what is the background. But once you start blurring, it just makes things harder to read (though it does depend on colour choices). If it doesn't improve the readability at all, then it's better to drop it. Blue text on white background is really readable especially when the background colour is solid and not a gradient. Also if the text shadow colour matches the font, it will almost always look bad and makes readability worse.

About font, well... If You want to make it look consistent on every platform using Open Sans would be one option (and it looks pretty nice too). These all are fine tuning, the layout is great.

---
    Small example where text-shadow improves readability, at least to my eyes. 1px 1px 1px shadow rendered by Firefox.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if the shadow matches font colour... Horrible.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Much better then the previous weird blue design :)

5. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    wow this is so much better now very looking forward to this

6. wubbles

wubbles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Nice work :)

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Hey Hilbert, although some people do have a point with those drop shadows in the heading on articles, i have nothing against it, but i do think however that the shadow in the mouse hover over the navbar links, makes the text a bit blurry, it can look better without the drop shadows. The shadows in the headings of the article titles are ok, i don't know if there were changed up to now, but anyway...
    And that is the only thing, the rest is excellent work!

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Very well done , i like it a lot better , it loads very fast for me. Good job Hilbert :thumbup:!

9. Tequila

Tequila Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    Hey,

I think the design is much more crisp and elegant but think there may be a few worth while tweaks.

1) Article text should be 'justify', left-align just looks messy.
    2) You need to add more flare to the background image part of the site, something similar to pcgamer.com's implementation of full-page advertisements or graphics to cater for users that have larger resolutions.
    3) The blue/white colourings on the menu dropdowns could do with a tweak as their not as visually appeasing as the rest of the site and can be hard to read for some users - either work with different graphics or a different blend of complementary colours.
    4) Tagged as tags should probably be smaller in font-size and of a different font family to differ from the article - also they need to be standardised - either appear below the image or to the right, not randomly either.
    5) The left and right image roller arrows should be moved slightly to the outside of the image field as depending on the image used these arrows may not be visible.

Regs

10. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB

11. MiMiK

MiMiK Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    yep, looks good centered Phragmeister

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ^^That wouldn't work, no space for ads and in the end it doesn't make any difference, just gets rid of ads. It does add wasted space, though.

---
    I too find myself clicking the H1's. :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  13. wubbles

wubbles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Too much weird whitespace.

14. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    Looks very good..
    How about put the bottom add banner as part of the footer so it can be placed at the center of the page, not just at the center of the content section..

15. tktk104

tktk104 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 Ti-DC2O-2GD5
    It's WONDERFUL!! :D I absolutely LOVE the color scheme!! AND ... I still have the feeling I'm a member of the SMARTEST FORUM on the net!! :)

So many sites, forums, etc., change so rapidly that I've found myself losing interest because I'm trying to enjoy the experience of the forum/site rather than "retrain my brain" to learn new navigation and search for my favorite places. Your new design is contemporary, yet still feels like an internet "friend." Great WORK!! :)

I just recently discovered your reviews (face palm) and they are EXTREMELY helpful to "uninformed" members like me. I especially love the details you include in your reviews! I've learned a lot about video cards!! Actually, I learn something with EVERYTHING I read on this site!! Thank you very much for all your hard work! :)

16. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Very nice, keep up the good work.

17. shaggeyman39

shaggeyman39 Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X 4850 705Clock 1150Mem
    Its seems to run well on PC web browsers, although I am not a fan of the drop down menus because on mobile/touchscreen devices its a pain. The current design is fast and slick on my Android smart phone & Galaxy 10.1 tablet. The new site lacks the "tap, slip, and slide go" It looks great and glad your asking for input.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks for the comments everyone !

Moments ago I decided to go live with the new design. So the DNS will slowly propagate over the day to the new website. We'll tweak a little here and there over the weeks to come of course.

Let me just say that I so am very happy to see so many of you liking and approving the new design (for the biggest part with minor comments on the shadows etc aside).

This has been a child of very hard labor as not only the layout changed, all servers have been changed, the CMS software is new. It was a LOT of work and it ate away tremendous amount of resources and a lot of money.

I was just devastated a month ago to see the comments on that design. We listened to you guys and as such I decided to pull that design offline and go for this one.

Thanks again for your comments and freedback. From here on you'll only see more progression.

19. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    I like it!

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Gonna quote myself.