Questions about the ipad

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by squidward, Jun 25, 2012.

1. squidward

squidward Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080Ti
    Hi. I'm in a dilemma & I hope you can help me out.

I want to buy a tablet, & I've had my eye on the the new ipad 3 (64 GB WiFi-only version.) I was blown away by the rich retina-display & loved the styling too. But I've been told by some people that apple ipad is a real pain because of its anti-piracy issues. I believe that there are a lot of free apps for it online, but a few of my friends said that any worthwhile app must be purchased. Also, that ipad can't play the music I've downloaded, neither the music videos, etc. Apparently, to play music & videos, you have to buy the mp3 or mp4 from the itunes store. Is this true? Can't I play any mp3 & mp4 on it other that the legit purchased ones?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but the music & videos & books I intend to use on the ipad are downloaded off piratebay. I mainly want to use the ipad for referencing with my medical books & catch a song or movie on it occasionally. But if all this about "accept only legit files" thing is true, I'm afraid I cannot purchase this.

My query might sound silly or downright stupid, but I'm not aware about the tablets & smartphones, so please do help me out.

2. jack_rudolph

jack_rudolph Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB
    You can play your downloaded music and video, files just fine on ipad though you have to have itunes installed on your pc to sync them.... Normal drag and drop using Explorer doesnt work with ipad or any other ios device. You would have to have itunes installed on you pc to sync your multemedia, photos, pdf, ebook files etc
    Incase of video files ipad can only play mp4 and mov files in its default player so you gonna have to encode them in either one of the format.... If you dont wanna do that then search for some free video player on app store which supports multiple format and you're set.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. squidward

squidward Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080Ti
    Thank you. I was really worried about not being able to play the audio & video files. So there's even hope for formats other than only mp4 for videos, right?

4. jack_rudolph

jack_rudolph Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB
    yes... i use ipod touch 4g and normally i convert video files to the native resolution of ipod in mp4 .... but when I'm in a hurry or feeling lazy i just use ACE PLAYER APP which plays mkv, xvid, avi videos just fine.

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Any files that can be opened and played with iTunes or Quicktime will be playable on the iPad.

As for apps, there are many free legal apps in the iTunes Store that are really good. To be honest, there are a lot of apps that I would actually pay for because they're made really well and serves my purpose, I'm sure you can afford like $1 - 5 apps can't you o_O?

I personally have an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime (TF201) which is an Android tablet, but even though I can pirate apps, I choose not to because a lot of these apps are done well and they're very cheap so why not go the legal route?

deltatux

6. squidward

squidward Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080Ti
    Of course I don't mind buying a few apps, those which I really use. I just didn't want to end up paying loads of money for every app I use, that's all. Thank you all, you've cleared up quite a lot of facts for me!

7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    The iPad is a good device. There are some really nice players for viewing files on it. Personally i use Flex Player on my iPad to watch videos on it. As deltatux pointed out there are some real high quality apps on both Android and iOS that are really worth the money.

8. squidward

squidward Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080Ti
    Thanks for the info :)