Questions about possible new PC build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hyadum, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    TL;DR New possible build, is PCIE4 worth deciding AMD vs Intel (10th vs 11th?)? Is 8 cores good for future proofing vs 6 cores? Also quick new build list for possible opinions.

Hey guys, I'm opening this thread because I wanted to hear your guys' opinions about a possible new build.
    This is my current setup:

• CPU : Intel i7 3770k at 4.3
    • CPU Cooler : Hyper 212 EVO
    • MOBO : Asus p8z77v -pro
    • RAM : Corsair 2x4GB ddr3 1600
    • GPU : GTX 1070 8 GB
    • PSU : Corsair AX 760W Platinum
    • 2 ssd, 2 hdd
    • Asus vg248qe 144hz 1080p Monitor
    CPU has been a beast all these years but it is starting to show its age with its 4/8 cores/threads. 8 GB of ram is really too low nowadays and the 1070 is kind of hanging in there, although i have to lower details and frames quite a bit, which I don't really like.

I know prices are what they are right now (especially for GPUs) but I hope the whole situation will roll back a bit, maybe not pre-covid but at least to more human prices. As you can see from my old build, I keep what I buy for a very long time, so obviously next PC build should be the same. I can't be upgrading very often due to money so what I get has to last for quite a bit. I know future proofing doesn't work that well with PCs but you get what I mean. ;). Also don't really have a huge budget, around 1500-1700eu top.

I mostly game on my pc, with the occasional render/modding done with blender and similar. Games are usually either FPS like Apex Legends, Battlefield where high frames (144) are important, or story games RPGs like HZD, Witcher 3, RDR2, Assassin's creed and so on, where I like my games to look good while keeping AT LEAST 60 frames.

Now onto the new parts:

• CPU : For the new CPU I was looking for an 8 core (I did look at the 5600x but I don't really want its 6 cores to make me feel the same way I am right now with my 4 cores in just 2-3 years) so the choice is either i7 10700k or 5800x. Is there any reason I should not buy any of those 2? Prices are somewhat close for both CPU + MOBO combo, with AMD costing ~40eu more than Intel setup.
    • MOBO : MSI z490 / B550 A pro model. Seems to be the best cheap board model for both Intel/AMD. Again, anyhing wrong with it that I might have missed when searching about it?
    • CPU Cooler : Be quiet Dark rock 4 (NOT the pro version). Is it enough to cool both CPUs? Particularly the 5800x which I have read runs quite hot.
    • RAM : Crucial Ballistix 2x8 GB 3600 CL16. I think this should work good for both CPUs.
    • GPU : This is a pain in the ***, due to prices. I'll probably keep my current 1070 and use it in the new build until I find a decent deal, probably a 3060 TI but hopefully a 3070, or maybe something even newer than 3000 series depending on prices lol.
    • PSU : Be quiet Straight power 11 750W +80 Gold. It seems to be A tier on Linus tier list so it should be fine.
    • Case : Either Corsair 4000D or Fractal Meshify C with Fractal being roughly 30eu more.
    • Rest of the build is 1 NVME SSD 1tb, 1 tb HDD and a 500gb ssd, bunch of fans.
    Now the questions...

Anything wrong about the new build that I might have overlooked? I haven't built a full pc since this one in 2013 so I'm surely rusty on this stuff.

Is my reasoning about cores right? 8 vs 6 for future.

Is PCIE4 something I should really decide my CPU brand on? With Intel I'd be stuck with PCIE3. I'd have to go 11th for PCIE4 Intel (11700k + MSI z590 -A pro) but that will cost roughly 100eu more than 10th series and 50-60eu more than AMD Build.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the wall of text.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yok asked the right questions, so no, you're just as sharp as any guru here.
    Now, just a few things.
    CPU - tricky, because both CPUs are good in their own league. We know that next iteration will go to DDRAM 5 and a different socket for each platform. I am a bit AMD biased, but Intel is a strong candidate.
    CPU cooler - have that exact model in my computer which sits a meter away from me. It's quiet, I can't stand noise and vibration. And as it has a huge surface, it cools very well my 3700X.
    Motherboard Tricky as hell. But get the lat iteration of X570S and call it a day. Gigabyte or MSI X570 Tomahawk could be a good choice.

RAM Also have the Crucial Ballistic 3200 OC@3600 stable as a rock. Don't overspend, those are enough.

GPU- man, hold on a bit more on that GPU. Just that.

Case - Have the Fractal Design Meshify C. Looks good, cools down quiet all the components. However, I plan to change the fans with Artic Cooling ones, have more airflow at lower sound. Both Corsair and Fractal are good, choose what you fancy.

PSU I highly respect Linus, but when it comes to PSU I always read reviews from Oklahoma Wolf or JonnyGuru on their website dedicated to dissect and thoroughly review PSUs.

Hyadum likes this.
  3. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Thanks for the reply bro, really appreciated!

I know DDR5 is coming but I probably won't be able to wait that much lol. About the ram, i chose those because the 3200 model is just 5eu less, so no point really getting the slower one. Also I read 3600 is like the sweet spot for AMD Infinity fabric thing (haven't really read that much on it so maybe I'm wrong).
    For the x570 tomahawk that's quite a jump on price lol, I'll see if I can make it, if not I'll just stick with the A pro i guess.
    I'll try to keep this gpu as long as I can but if I can get a sweet deal on a rtx i probably will get it (one can only hope). I have also tried to find this PSU reviews you talked about but no luck, got any links? The PSU I chose seems to be pretty good from reading around but maybe there's better for the same price (or less :p )
    Thanks again!

4. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Summer time is best time to buy stuff, because theres less demand.

Corsair case all day. Not much noise dampening, but good for components.

Very expensive to upgrade, that's 1.5k eiro budget for what ? Games? Assassin's Creed?

You won't actually lose money if you keep all components in good condition. So buy what you want, play your games and sell. There won't be a loss. Maybe 10% in fees.
    The only component which loses money after purchase is motherboard.

So it don't really.matter at current times.
    When it's back to school, November lockdowns you won't lose significant money if sell.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yup it's a great time right now (all things considered), first time i'm building a rig and buying the gpu first tho.
    I usually take 2 - 3 months to put a rig together and this time will be no different. Scoped a nice gigabyte z490 and i'll pair it with a 65w i5.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  7. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Thanks for the reply guys!

I have kept looking around and searching/reading and I've come across some weird B550/X570 - 5000 series USB issues that quite some people seem to be having. Some fixes were rolled out but that apparently didn't help everyone and didn't fix completely the issue? I hope AMD manages to fix it in the end but I surely don't want to play dice with my new build and maybe get those issues aswell, so for the moment I'm leaning towards Intel... I'll keep reading and looking around! ;)

8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    z590 vision d
    Thank me later. :p
    *Any old 11th gen cpu will do, try i7 11700k

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Don't bother with evga power supplies... The fans in them are horrible, yes you can run them with the fan turned off, but when it needs to turn on... you are going to hear that fan over the rest of the system.

I honestly wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to buy the evga power supply I did... ultra quiet my ass.

10. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    I usually don't bother with EVGA products because they seem to be more expensive than they should be where I live. Personally I'd love to keep using my corsair ax760, great PSU never a problem with it. But even if it's a Platinum, I bought it around 2014 and it's kinda too old for my feelings, don't wanna risk anything. That's why I looked to the Be quiet, which seems to be an all around good PSU from what I read.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    If you do go AMD, most B550 motherboards do great. I'd consider X570 if I needed all those PCIE lanes but otherwise, you can save some money by going B550.

12. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    That was originally my idea, to go with a b550 and save money but after everything I've read about those UBS issues, it really pushed me away from AMD sadly.

13. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    You do miss out on "community experience".

14. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    What does that mean? lol

15. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    By being pushed away you will miss out on it.

You know, I got problem, you got a problem, let's work on it together.

16. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Yea sure, but in the end it's an avoidable problem since I have yet to buy PC parts. It'd be foolish to buy those knowing you could get this problem, which seems to be annoying af and not entirely clear what's the cause and/or fix for it.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Hyadum No dedicated sound card?
    As of late, I discovered how much I've been missing out building computers without a dedicated sound card or and USB DAC.

18. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    I actually never had a dedicated sound card, so I probably don't need it for the kind of use I do. But maybe I could get one later down the road just to try it. Any good models that won't cost too much?

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    ASUS XONAR SE 5.1 Channel could be a strong candidate, as it offers decent sound quality at a affordable price.

Hyadum likes this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Do ASUS XONAR's get driver support still?