Questions about AGEIA Nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by HonoredShadow, May 14, 2008.

1. Rathbone

Rathbone Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX2070
    I installed NVIDIAs beta driver with the new CUDA engine enabled and the latest PhysX pack. Then I watched a Bluray with PowerDVD 8 and noticed a weird behavior. It has something to do with the driver cause when I roll back to a normal one playback is normal again.

The video window is ALWAYS on top of the desktop. You can't even use PDVDs right click menu cause its hidden behind the video window. You can however move the video window or toggle between window and fullscreen.

I wonder if NVIDIAS new CUDA architecture also introduces a new video processing engine. PQ also seems to be better but this could be a placebo effect. Using Vista Ultimate 64 btw.

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    same cp settings as they ever was (default nvidia ones upon reinstallation) checked in case any option was changed but they were fine, there was another user who noticed the increased iq and performance, drivers has always been quite a random thing even for people with the same rig configurations and hardware.

i've got an old 40GB harddrive i formatted it and reinstalled xp w sp3 fresh, installed the Cuda drivers, a few games and tested the results were the same, so i uninstalled them and installed the 175.16 whql but they weren't up to the same Cuda drivers in terms of smoothness and quality.

btw the 175.16 whql made my desktop look really good including text and images compared to all the previous drivers, they didn't improve games IQ though, the Cuda drivers made my desktop look even better text is very crisp and clear but also games IQ is sharper, i thought maybe it was the option Image Sharpen in the CP thought maybe something changed there but no, i can describe the desktop improvement as less text bleeding the black text is now black don't have that tiny bit of brownish bleeding around it.

as for the AC screenshot and haze fog thing the screenshot is at fault, ingame i get fog, haze, smoke, dust and everything else except now everything is sharper and smoother, i'm not talking an increase of FPS, you can get smoother gameplay without any increase if the card is loading and unloading graphics from the video memory and interacting with the gpu properly.

again i can't find a single reason why everything looks better with the Cuda drivers i haven't done anything special, simply uninstalled the old 175.16 whql and installed 174.55 then benchmarks and played games, maybe it depends on your card its revision and bios, who knows.

i would like to say also that the official 175.16 whql are my 2nd favorite way better than any of the previous ones and a worthy successor to the almighty 169.21 whql and any other 17x.xx drivers i've tried, the CUDA drivers though take the 1st spot ;)

i'm going to test the cuda drivers extensively especially in PhysX enabled games such as GRAW2, Bioshock etc i know the drivers aren't supposed to improve anything unless the game is optimized for Cuda but i'm just curious, oh and i uninstalled the latest Physx drivers and installed the previous one i had (8.00) and performance didn't change it remained good so i can rule out the latest physx drivers as a source of performance if any.

Vista64? :D

remember guys i'm using XP SP3, i don't know about Vista, again drivers interact differently on most rigs so don't take my word for it the best way is to try any drivers and decide for youselves, as for me the Cuda drivers were the biggest surprise.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    It Gives Programmers The ability For Anything to be run via GPU, not just physx.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    ok ok , i take back my request for you to install vista64 :p

still i had some strange things with these drivers.
    first of all the text in the control panel was blue (just like in xp), when enabling sli, i had to reboot (normally dont have to) and i got to see some quadro sli menu which i never seen before.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    when it comes to SLi there is a huge difference between drivers (even in XP yes), are you saying that you got blue text in the control panel? is that a bug or a normal thing mate?

wish you could remove 1 of the cards and try the drivers in a singlecard environment cause its not the same to disable SLi via drivers, if you got some time please try who knows you might be surprised lol

6. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    But still physx drivers needs to be ported to cuda, or nothing will happen, ever.
    And support for cuda should be present in every new driver release from nvidia, if I'm not wrong. Not just 174.55, so called cuda-drivers.

Edit:
    I was wrong about the cuda support in all new drivers. Atleast 175.70 doesn't seem to work with cuda applications.

7. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Thats what im trying to say, Physx needs to be changed to work....At the current time it wont work becuase it doesnt know to Look at the GPU....All it wants is a Physx Card.

8. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Well then we have been talking about the same thing all-a-long. Hehe! :bonk:

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Actually no.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    those drivers worked great for a while, then i started getting that stupid nvdik whatever it called crash loop. I was using those drivers for like 2 days without a problem til now.

11. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_physx.html

Guess you were wrong...

PhysX has already been ported to CUDA, and Nvidia PhysX will be part of every CUDA package.

Also, list of games that currently use "Nvidia PhysX":
    http://developer.nvidia.com/object/get_physx_now.html

It mentions games GRAW and other games which were made long before Nvidia bought PhysX. That pretty much settles it I think.

EDIT: Also answered on the last page:

Sure seems to me like all we'll need is the latest PhysX-enabled CUDA driver to take advantage of any game that already has PhysX.

So the question was:

Will PhysX-enabled CUDA drivers be able to take advantage of existing PhysX features in current or older games?

The answer is Yes.

You said:
    That turns out to be wrong.

This CUDA beta driver doesn't yet have PhysX, but according to Nvidia's own website, PhysX will be ported to CUDA "later this year", and when it is, it will work with any PhysX-enabled game. The games *don't* need to be made via CUDA for it to work with just a CUDA-enabled GPU instead of a standalone PPU.

12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Mmm... this thread gets more and more interesting... :nerd:

13. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Install phsyx along with cuda games seemed ok colours defo looked nice but crysis benchmark refused to complete. It kept BSODing on the second run , back to 175.16 which work fine for me xp32bit sp3.

14. n3ptun3

n3ptun3 Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 1Gb
    Of course not, did everyone forget how dynamic the atmosphere on Assassin's Creed is? you cant take 2 screenshots and expect the image to be the same, everything moves, sometimes the screen is all sharp and clear, other times all foggy and smokey. The clouds move, dust in the air moves, etc etc.

I'm using them o Vista x64 btw, no problems so far, and I did notice the better IQ.

15. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Grahf

ok...try these drivers on a physx game and tell me they work??

hmm thats wierd judging By nvidia Latest Physx Drivers May 8th.

# Supports only AGEIA PhysX processors and software runtimes
    # Does NOT include NVIDIA GPU PhysX Support

Am i still wrong :p

16. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Porting physx to cuda was finished in last month, if I don't remember wrong, but nvidia still hasn't released it for the public. It is coming in near future anyway, and it will enable physx acceleration on all nv gpu's g80 and beyond. All physx accelerated games sould work just fine.

Edit:
    Here's link to news article about nvidia porting physx to cuda.
    http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/602415/nvidia-finishes-porting-physx-to-cuda.html

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You are wrong when these GPU physics enabled drivers are released, NVIDIA hasn't released them yet. So now you are right, any driver or PhysX system software available do not support GPU accelerated physics.

18. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Im sure physx is completed, But that doesnt make it work :p

i stand by my statement, these Drivers will do nothing for Physx Games :)

19. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Well that is completely true, and people just have to wait for nvidia to release physx system software for cuda in near future.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yup, these driver do nothing for PhysX games.