[Question] RX480 8G draws 80W+ from the PCIe slot - what does this mean for me?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by artisticMink, Jun 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Exactly, I mentioned that and wondered about it in the other thread, where you could limit PCIe (and power cable) power draw limits, or expand them. If it's anything like with Maxwell's BIOS, the 'fix' for AMD's cards would be a mere vBIOS flash.

I do believe it is a problem if exceeding 75W on the PCIe on a regular basis, yet again I don't see it being hard to fix either.

2. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    finally someone didnt give up looking for proof that was obviously out there somewhere...
    i already stated that this limit has been broken in the past in my last 30 posts.
    but this is actually a find i didnt look for because i just wouldnt have believed 960 asus strix is with 1x 6pin only. making a recheck -> turned out it does..

thx man, you should post that in the nvidia-bashes-amd threads again.
    (which are basically all threads about RX480)
    but yeah maybe just dont do it... because outcome is questionable. as there will be the next argument out of thin air being made up and in the same sentence you/amd-users classified as trolling.
    so thats the best way of some of them to continue damaging the image of AMD. and they do seem to like it.

here is the full article to it. many of the AIB cards went over the 150W spec under torture. up to 170W, same image as with RX480
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-8.html

still in this forum maybe the moderation can enlighten about where in any case apart from obvious 1-post-trolls fake accounts the amd user base is making fun of nvidia cards / nvidia reviews / nvidia review methods or nvidia-card-users in a disrespectful (!!) manner as it is the other way round.
    where are the 500-3000 post useraccounts with amd cards in main rig that seriously put on an arrogant attitude and bully around in nvidia section of this forum?

i always wonder where some of the experienced mainly-nvidia users who still have the common courtesy are...
    there are not many left who stand up and say something. sometimes -tj-, and moab do, because they seem to be users with experience who actually dont care about NVIDIA vs AMD fights and put out neutral judgments.

else, passive-aggressiveness just became standard.
    not answering on the main content of posts, instead -> generalizing and negating, as well as focusing on cosmetic & researchable irregularities (errors in form) of single posts for example and making a ridicule out of it.
    when one click on a provided link would have been enough to see some numbers for themselves... -> first rules is always: talk against it.
    i am very direct about it, but it seems netiquette has become obsolete nowadays in times where trolling and insulting others via the net has become standard. and is also not enforced, apart from spoken out "swear words". i know internet changes fast.
    but this is a bulletin board and no youtube-comment section nor twitter-conversation.
    i don't know if many people still know how bulletin boards looked like 15 years ago. they were full of walls of text, and guess what, everyone read them. no ;TLDR. no click on ->reply -> "sorry i didnt read your whole post but..."
    if someone wants to trade insults and ignore contents of other peoples post, dont come into a forum.
    if you follow an agenda and try to discredit certain companies or single individuals, dont come into a forum.

3. Archimonde

Archimonde Banned

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    Sorry Vase, can't read that wall of text.

The PCI-E specification allows for up to 71.3W to be drawn from the motherboard 12V rails. MAXIMUM

The RX480 SUSTAINS 82W from the 12V in METRO LAST LIGHT

That is 14% over the maximum, and that is AVERAGE.

Peaks up to 155W.

See the updated thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

[​IMG]

Comparing a reference RX480 which SUSTAINS 86W total from the PEG to an OVERCLOCKED custom Asus Strix 960 which DOES NOT AVERAGE above the limit, but has severe power spikes of 225W, is ridiculous. The RX480 spikes to 155W which is also unacceptable.

The main difference is that only the Asus Strix 960 had this problem, other 960s did not.
    All RX480s have this problem it appears.

It is drawing 14% more than it should, on average. The MAXIMUM is 72W. It's AVERAGEING 82W.

4. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    yup, awesome.

5. Archimonde

Archimonde Banned

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    I don't understand what you are upset about, I am not bashing AMD. I am informing consumers. Know the difference.

6. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    thank you. i feel well informed now. :nerd:

btw.
    why do you think i am upset?
    i was upset during my previous post, but upset at you specifically?

7. Archimonde

Archimonde Banned

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    You're welcome

8. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18738173

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18738173

9. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    the big mouths are suddenly closed the moment zer0 and you put put these proofs on the table for the statement, which i had already made. getting quiet now.
    no one has the guts to admit their hatespeech now. or to revert. or even apologize.

yeah but you really found the jewel... up to peak values of 140W per ONE SINGLE pcie slot. and 50% of the time @100W per ONE SINGLE pcie slot.
    doesnt matter if its NVIDIA or AMD (i will stay fair), just shows it doesnt matter and there is a discrediting happening this time. but it didnt happen with any other card in the past.

we need some more thin air to get in here so some people can create arguments out of it.

"humbug" is platin value backing as well.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  10. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    and, did you get well informed in the meantime as well?
    or unchanged?

11. Archimonde

Archimonde Banned

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    Here it is guys, power problems confirmed

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ns-Radeon-RX-480/Overclocking-Current-Testing

So if you overclock this card you are looking at ~100W SUSTAINED, which can cause motherboard damage.

You were saying, Vase ? About you not being well informed ?

12. Archimonde

Archimonde Banned

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    Nobody is going quiet, quite the opposite, now it is confirmed and you deniers all look super silly

13. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i thought i heard you say something about 750Ti power draw as well. but then again must have been the wind. or you talking too low voiced.
    but maybe the word "750Ti" is just flashy-thinging you over and over, i don't know.

oh no you opened pandoras box! 750Ti!!! you got flashy-thinged once more.
    [​IMG]

14. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I am pretty sure there are tons of examples of graphics cards model not respecting the power specifications.. Especially when over-clocking, power specifications are commonly screwed.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    [​IMG]

17. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    nice. but, as i learned today *cough* *cough*, preferably we talk about rail
    measurements @PCIe slot with the oscilloscope:

notice, its your own source. so shouldnt be any trust issues from your end :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-20.html
    [​IMG]

that's good find. the image gets complete.
    not even a slightest warning about better staying inside of specs.

18. Archimonde

Archimonde Banned

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    That's about the PCI-E connectors going over spec.

This card goes 15% over spec on the 12v rail at stock. Users reporting anti surge measures kicking in on their motherboards with a slight OC.

The 750ti averages within pci-e spec

Can't wait to hear from crossfire users lol

19. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    you see, maybe i am more optimistic than others about some aspects we are discussing.

but. i don't desperately try to discredit anything and anyone having to do with or posting about amd (respectively to be replaced with "nvidia") on here.

20. Archimonde

Archimonde Banned

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    You desperately try to discredit data from several independent at-the-rail power measurements though

[​IMG]