Question regarding picture quality

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Coolerking, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Hi all, hope you are all doing ok in this crazy moment in time.
    I have an i5 6600k, and a rx5700 xt pulse, on an samsung U28E590
    I know it doesn't support HDR, but its a 4k/60 monitor.
    I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong, when I'm watching F1, netflix, and such, many times the picture is crap.
    Just curious if anyone has any tips...As always , thanks and have a great day!

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
  3. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Thanks for the reply, I am using a DP cable, and I have no issues running games and such at 4k/60, not sure of the quality of it though, it says "Glowmark" on the wire if that helps.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Is that what came with your monitor? I can only recommend a new cable, that's my advice.

5. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Not sure actually, I cant remember, but for $20-$30 I will certainly get a new one and see how it goes, thanks!

6. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    Unless you're seeing some sort of snow/artifacts or lack of picture entirely due to the video connection not allowing a clean handshake between your computer and the display properly, changing a cable that sends a digital signal will not improve any other picture quality.

A digital video connection, like DVI, DisplayPort, or HDMI, either shows a picture or it doesn't.
    It isn't a loss-y signal like an analog video connection (VGA, Component, Composite, or S-Video).

Once you have determined the video connection is not the issue, i would try calibrating your display using these test images to see if it improves your confidence in the picture quality - LCD Monitor Test Images

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  7. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Check hz, check output. For example nvidia likes to set rbg to limited, windows display settings have also been odd at times..
    Remember first time i got connected my samsung 60inch to my pc, 6600k with then a 1080. Used HDMI.. Looked like crap, and choppy.. Had to tweak some settings, like the ones i suggested above. Check tv settings, black level, etc that can have a negative impact on image quality.