Question regarding Old nvidia drivers vs new.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by trydowave, Mar 11, 2009.

1. trydowave

trydowave New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX 768
    Hi. I have a very annoying problem with my 8800GTX.

Say I install the latest Nvidia Drivers (182.08) for better performance in FEAR2. Sure enouhgh performance improves in that game but then I find that other older games suffer.
    I say older but im not talking tie fighter on windows 98, im talking about a games that are a couple of months old.
    Left4dead and deadspace now have poor framerates under the lastest drivers.

If I go back to 180.48 Deadspace starts running fine again (havent tried left4dead yet) and Fear2 in turn runs like a pig.

My question is. Will I have to change Nvidia drivers for every specific game that I want to play? If so, I might just give up PC gaming altogether.

Cheers
    Tony

2. F2000

F2000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Try 182.05 beta, betas always give a slight performance edge on WHQL drivers.

3. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    You could setup a dual boot, if your finding the performance vary so much?
    Only takes a short while to setup an additional installation for dual boot.

4. trydowave

trydowave New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX 768
    i just tried the 182.05 beta recommended by F2000 and it works alot better than 182.08.
    This beta wont include the performance enhanments for the latest games though, i think? Fear2 maybe, but I tried the HAWX demo and that definately need the latest drivers.
    I then tried the latest beta 182.08 international. IT seems to run deadspace the same as 182.05, i noticed alittle more hicups on Burnout paradise though? But it was adequate.
    Dual Boot? I really cant be boethered. Plus what if this happens every few months, ill need a quad boot! I just wish nvidia would fix these issues so all games will work at optimal performance. Still tinkering.

5. Threewheels

Threewheels Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 275, 896mb
    I played left 4 dead for a few hours last night on the 182.06, and it seemed to run just as well as the older drivers for me. keep tweeking, maybe you can find the sweet spot for each particular game.

6. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    You don't need different drivers for every game, that isn't the problem. The problem is every nvidia driver since 181.22 sucks so far. Use 181.22 until better whql come out.

7. juampii

juampii Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX480 @ 850 / 2000
    i make an image with my vista fully installed and update, some drivers like printer, logitech, i have all documents linked to other hdd, all the settings of the programs, etc.
    steam, a few games installed, without video and audio, and to install a new driver, i restore the backup (10 mins max) and 5 more to get a complete working machine with other new/older drivers. and try, i hope the audio "issues" goes away with the x-fi forte (in ten days i get it here).
    the nvidia drivers are really bad, maybe in one or two years, you can play super smooth a game of today with a mid range video card at ultra high.