Question on configuring Skyrim on ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by lazume, Nov 22, 2011.

1. lazume

lazume New Member

GPU:
    ATI MobilityRadeon HD4650
    Hi guys,

First time poster here since I observed that this is a great place to seek help.

I'm quite new to the CCC and RadeonPro---over this week since release I have tried using 11.11a and Radeonpro together to boost my FPS in Skyrim for my laptop's HD4650.

I also searched everywhere but could only find guides for HD5xxx and HD6xxx -not HD4xxx. The game runs okay...averaging at 15-35 FPS. I wonder if there is a guide out there...or if someone who has an HD4xxx who can share their experiences?

I set my launcher graphical options to low, then tune up the texture to high. I also tune up object and actor LOD to 5.

I also downloaded a d3d9.dll from ENB which is supposed to boost performance.

Thanks for the help!

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Don't believe everything you read on Internet.

I keep particular save as a controlling scene for different configs,
    and ENBseries Skyrim utility lowered fps on it.
    Same scene went from 40fps to 36fps.

FXAA injector mod otoh fixes colors with no FPS impact.

3. JaxDasher

JaxDasher New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4650 1gig
    Hi joined this forum because the people in here are more levelheaded, and I saw your plight because you have the same graphics card as me..and might even have the same laptop.

Anyway I did manage to increase my fps which gives me an average of 35-42 on high settings with 2xAA and 4xAA.

I dont have CCC 11.11a installed yet, but I have used ENB series and Radeon Pro to increase fps.
    First of all ENB series did nothing really.
    Radeon pro with Oblivion profile settings does improve my fps to what it is now but it has the black box fire bug whenever you set something or yourself on fire. I found that really irritating in a game with dragons.

So my final solution was to get the Enhance Performance d3d9.dll from the skyrim forums (im not sure if its the same as the found in the ENB series) if you cant find it I will send mine to you. But the way to make this work is at your skyrim launcher you have to set your AA to 0 and AF to 0 other options is fine to mess with. Now go the CCC and force whatever AA and AF setting you desire and then run the game.
    And thats how it works for me. Let me know if it helps.

4. lazume

lazume New Member

GPU:
    ATI MobilityRadeon HD4650
    jaxdasher,

Hey thanks man. I got rid of Enbseries and downloaded a better d3d9.dll since the better performance mod cannot be found. This was downloaded from newvegasnexus. This is a file, a java file that can detect your card and make a dll accordingly. You might want to give it a try. I have tweaked my settings using your advice. But my fps (though smooth and playable) is only about 25 in White Run and 18 in Markath due to waterfalls.

5. wafu88

wafu88 Active Member

GPU:
    DDR3
    Yes ENB lowers performance because his mod is doing things that even Skyrim by default doesn't. His enables SSAO for example.

6. JaxDasher

JaxDasher New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4650 1gig
    Im glad that helps you somehow. I havnt played much Skyrim I have been waiting for a patch before I go back so i havnt experienced low fps in markath and white run but i will agree that water textures do take its toll.

Message me if you have other problems on other games seeing as we both have the same graphics card we can help each other out.