Question for the experts RE: HIS Radeon 4670

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tekkie1958, Feb 16, 2009.

1. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    Hi all,

Brand new to this forum , seems great.

My current system that I use for HD editing, encoding, ripping, photo editing is a quadcore 6600 CPU asus MB
    ATI radeon x800 4 gig RAM

I just bought a brand new ASUS and Gigabyte MB ( cant decide which to keep Asus Rampage 2 and Top of the line Gigabyte) to build a new system with with together with a i7 920 processor.

I aslo bought TWO HIS Radeon 4670's (1 GB version) for $99 each.

The first card will be for my 2 monitors on my desk, the second card for streaming my HD collection to my 73 inch TV

I just want to know if I bought too cheap a card for HD editing and such.

The sales associate in the store tried to get me to get the Diamond Radeon 4870 x2

Will the HIS Radeon 4670 do what I'm currently doing with the radeon x800?

Better? worse?

Also, I have not unpacked the card ( 15% restocking fee)

Looks like it might take up the motherboard slot beneath it, is that true?

Thanks for all and any advice

Jeff

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Lots of questions.

99 a pop for 4670s is a bit much in my opinion.

They can definitely handle the HD stuff. One could, easily.

A 4870x2 was overkill for you.

A single 4670 would destroy your 800, two will burn it.

4670s should not take up two slots, but I don't know about your's.

My personal advice? Return them. Return them and go to newegg, newegg has 4830s for 100 bucks. A single 4830 is about the same as two 4670s, for a much cheaper pricetag and without some issues that 2 4670s come with. For instance, I'm not familiar with how useful a crossfire system will be for HD editing, but from my experience, it won't be optimal.

So, get a 4830 for an amazing "budget" card, half the price of your current crossfire setup with better performance.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    Not doing crossfire.

Just one 4670 to drive the two 24 inch desktop monitors (one of which in extended desktop mode)

And the second care driving (dvi to hdmi) my 73 inch dlp tv to view all my HD stuff from my PC on.

Thanks for the advice bout newegg though.

Also good to know just in case i keep my 4670's that its better than my old x800

Jeff

4. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Oh, 10-4. They'll be fine. If you can still return them, I would actually be more likely to look at the 4830s in that case. You'll have two, one to drive each monitor, and a lot of horsepower behind each.

For the exact same price.

5. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    You're right I do see the 4830's for the same price that I paid for the 4670's

Just not sure it will make a world of difference in my HDTV editing, encoding, ripping and photo editing.

If it did, I'd return the 4670's.

Just one more question if I may:

Using TWO 4670s (If they dont take up more than one slot each)

IF card 1 drives the two desktop monitors with one of those monitors being in extended desktop mode.

WILL:

Card number 2 driving a 73 inch DLP HDTV in extended desktop work independenly of the desktop monitor in extended mode?

in other words, will i be able to drag media player to my 73 inch tv alone, or will it show up on the extended desktop from card one too?

Jeff

6. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    You can crossfire them together and run two monitors independently off that; you can run them independently and have each GPU handle what is on it's own screen, or you can crossfire them and have them both focus on a single monitor, and clone them to the others.

And I agree, you personally, likely won't see a difference. But it could also mean that you don't have to upgrade for a while longer for the same price.

Plus, if you ever do game, even occasionally, the 4830 is going to be far better.

7. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    Thanks Iarwain,

Only issue before I open the boxes of the 4670's is whether they'll cover the MB slots beneath them hence losing precious MB slots.

Jeff

8. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    No way to know without being able to see them.

I don't know of any 4670s that have dual slot coolers, though.

9. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    IARWAIN:

I can get the radeon 4850's at $150 each, maybe less.

How do they compare to the 4670's and 4830's

Jeff

10. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    4850 will be dual slot more often, though there are single slot configurations.

4850 will have better memory performance than the 4830. For your purpose, I'll be honest, I'm not sure. For gaming, the difference is pretty small. 10% or so.

11. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    IARWAIN:

How do I know b4 buying whether it's single slot configuration?

Also, I'm deciding between 2 motherboards I bought, the top of the line asus rampage II and the gigabyte top of the line (both use i7)

Jeff

12. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)

The RAMPAGE II is a pure enthusiast board; I would probably stick with it for two reasons; it is a RoG board from ASUS and also because it's quite the killer in performance.

About the slots, look at the video card's expansion bracket. If the bracket is about as tall as two DVI ports, or has a outputs as well as a line of ventilation holes, it is a dual slot.

The slots in this case refer to how many expansion slots it uses.
    An example of a single slot card are ones like the 8800GT. Those huge cards, like the GTX series, are all dual slot.

13. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    A few more questions for theis GREAT FORUM then I'll take a long, long breath :):

I found a Diamond 4670 for around the same price as the HIS 4670 but appears to be ONE slot , Does it do Crossfire? IS crossfire only for gamers? or Hi def editors too?. Any difference between these two cards? I'm not even too sure what crossfire is used for I'm sorry to say

ALSO, can Diamond radeons use the drivers off of ATI/AMD's site?

Lastly (I Promise) To go back to the beginning, all I want to do is HD editing, encoding, ripping, streaming video to my 73 inch DLP.

Currently using ATI x800..Building NEW i7 920 system with top of the line socket 1366 MB.

Will 2 radeon 4670's in this allow me to do AT LEAST the same things i did with my current system with the x800?

EDIT: Final decision is to return HIS 4670's (dual Slots) for Diamond 4670's (single Slots)

Thanks,

jeff

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  14. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    Can't believe they tried to convince you that you need a 4870X2. I would love to go back, purchase the card, and then beat the assistants face in with it. Just for being a moron.

15. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800

Havokie, can you please read my edited post # 13?

jeff

16. tekkie1958

tekkie1958 Member

GPU:
    ATI x800
    JUST got 2 4670's by DIAMOND (single slots) Why were the HIS 4670's I returned Double slots

Why are two radeon 4670's diff sizes?

Also, the single slot not requiring a power connection from the power supply vs. the HIS version needing it..why?

Again, thnx, and I have leaned alot from the experts here, hope to be able to give back too

Jeff

17. SolidMGSnake

SolidMGSnake Member

GPU:
    HIS / HD4850 IceQ4 /512mb
    THey're dual slotted because HIS makes that nice big cooler on it. THe extra slot vents air out from the system.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009