Question for Hilbert

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AgentOrange, Sep 8, 2015.

1. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Question for Hilbert (or anybody!)

Hi,

I am interested in buying a GTX 980 Ti and I've been looking at the reviews here. One thing I've noticed though, and apologies if this has been brought up before, but the 4K benchmark comparisons between the Gigabyte G1 and MSI Lightning are strange, as the G1 in many games is faster. I would have expected the Lightning to be quite a bit better?

I also notice that that the G1 scores were omitted from the Lightning benchmarks, even though the G1 was one of the first after-market 980 Ti's tested.

I understand the Lightning is designed to be water-cooled, but I'm thinking that if this is not what I want to do the G1 might be the best air-cooled 980 Ti.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Adrian

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    The G1 review was with the OC Guru software, that's why it appears faster:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,12.html

Haven't seen a 980 Ti that can't hit 1450+ so your best bet is to go through the thermals and noise levels to pick a card that'll suit you.

Personal favourite of mine is the MSI Gaming cards, after the Lightning of course :p:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gaming-oc-review,1.html

3. Kaapstad

Kaapstad Member Guru

GPU:
    4 x Titan X
    The Gigabyte G1 980 Ti can be noisy and people often prefer the MSI Gaming 980 Ti.

4. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Ok thanks for the info Spets. The G1 being overclocked makes much more sense now!

Yeah I have 2 MSI Gaming's (Radeon's) at the moment, they are good. But definitely keen to get back to the green team, as much as I want to support AMD I'm sick of not being able to get the most of out them because basically every game is slanted towards Nvidia performance.

Anyway, I was also looking at the EVGA hybrid, would be great if Hilbert could have done a review on that one. I am feeling like a change from the MSI's though - top of the list is the Lightning and the EVGA. Here in Aus unfortunately it seems Zotac is not retailing any more which is a shame.

Any more advice/feedback on 980 Ti's would be appreciated! Can't wait to get one, I anticipate will be on par and probably even better performance than my 2 R9 290s, with way less heat way more game/driver compatibility!

5. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Actually Spets I've read the reviews a little bit more and the Lightning is also overclocked during the tests:

And the G1:

:confused:

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The G1 Gaming indeed was tested in OC MODE which requires the software to run in the background at all times.

We had a lot of feedback on that one as the perf looks higher opposed to what it should be, OC Guru II is doing some stuff in the background at least with our sample. After the G1 review feedback I decided to make a new policy, we will no longer run any software enabled OC modes as default in our reviews - hence I excluded the G1 results from other GTX 980 Ti reviews comparisons as these cards are all tested on clock frequencies straight out of the box (without any software running). While I do admit that was a misjudgment / flaw from my side, I also have to state ... if at home you use OC Guru II software in OC mode .. you will still see very similar performance.

EVGA reviews here are a no-go, EVGA banned us for criticizing them on replicating and copying 3rd party overclocking software.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ev...r-rtss-design-concept-into-precisionx-15.html

7. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Thanks for the response, Hilbert. Really appreciated.

Very interesting article there too, which makes me rethink purchasing EVGA. It might seem small to them, but I'm not keen on supporting a company with that type of business practice, even if the graphics card is good.

Luckily there are some great options for a 980 Ti and I shall peruse your reviews further!

Thanks again.