1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Canadians

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by TekkMarine, Feb 19, 2014.

1. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    If you order something from America do you pay Duty Tax on it?

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    Depends some retailers that have a presence or an agreement in Canada charge tax others I have ordered from charge shipping and brokerage fees.Just as an example I ordered a headlight pod from the States the shipping and brokerage fees were almost as much as the item but in that case it was still $120 less than buying here.

3. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    The answer: It depends.

As stated above, if the retailer is already established in canada, they won't. And sometimes it does pass the border and they still don't and I don't know why.

But presume that if your package has to pass the border, they will charge duty tax.

4. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Thnx for the info, wanted to try and avoid some Duty Tax... as it happens its pretty unavoidable. Sucks having to pay tax for two countries, stupid EU is useless!

5. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Be extra careful of Purolator who, if you are required to pay duty and don't have an account with them, will pay for you, then charge you an extra $10 for "being oh so nice" and paying for you. I had ordered a mug for my sister from the states for Christmas and duty on it was going to be only a few dollars (acceptable though still stupid), and Purolator charged me $10 on top of it. So I called them up and was like WTF WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY THIS!? As they didn't even try to contact me regarding this fee, and they said there is an option to wave the fee but only one time. Needless to say, I did that then I got an account with them so I don't run into this BS again.

So just be careful they don't try to charge you unreasonably.

6. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Fedex UPS DHL also do the same as purolator

7. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    You have to find out if the country you are dealing with has a free trade agreement, if it does you do not pay duty, you pay taxes on the value of the item and possibly a fee from the courier for collecting the taxes.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yes, you will be charged tax.

If you refuse to pay the tax, the item is held and sent back to shipper.

Should the item come from the EU, you will not be paying any tax.

Try to order the item from Europe unless your prepared to pay for customs.

Last month I shipped a USED laptop from the UAE to the UK.

I was FORCED to pay £180 tax. If I refused, within 28 days they would automatically destroy/dispose of the item, bastards.

Several times in the past, I've ordered items from the US & Singapore. I was taxed on both occasions.

Make your decision.