question bout vista.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Xenoasd, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Xenoasd

Xenoasd Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 320mb SC
    im getting vista from my friend.. home premium. i was wonder (its somewhat a hd question or data question) is it possible to keep all my files and data intact?

when i reformat my computer sometimes, it usually reformats my c drive (where windows is installed) and everything else stays the same BUT nothing else works (my games etc) on my other drives. tho does avi, music, image files get affected as well?

and do i really need 4gb to run 32-bit? (he only has 32bit)

2. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    From my experience most games don't need an installation to work. Music, images, etc. shouldn't be affected anyway. And you don't need 4GB, I'm running it with 2GB and it is pretty fast. Only if you use +3GB of RAM you may want to upgrade to a 64bit OS.

3. Xenoasd

Xenoasd Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 320mb SC
    so i can just reformat main drive that contains windows and keep all my files? (assuming everything works) what about drivers? do i uninstall everything first in xp or uninstall from vista?

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Are you sure you said that right?
    I would say it's the other way around, most games need to be reinstalled to work properly.

Keep in mind that some of the saved games are under My Documents, so unless you've backed them up before your format, you could loose your save game spots etc.

Others keep it under the installation directory and you should hopefully be able to install over the top, if not you can at least save your saved games then replace it after the install.

Things to remember if you format your Windows partition is that you need to backup your boookmarks and My Documents, My Pictures, Emails etc.

5. Xenoasd

Xenoasd Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 320mb SC
    well i dont really care about games.. those i can reinstall anytime. what im worried is that is the avi, music, pictures gonna be corrupted or it doesnt work...

if i put them into a seperate drive (i have 200gb hd seperate from my 160gb), windows wont do anything to that hd drive when im reformatting?

sorry to repeat things.. this is first time, i do not want to screw up. (my dvd wr doesnt work.. for some reason, so i cant back up files using dvd-wr.)

ah right another question.. will i still able to download music, download torrents using utorrent with vista?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007