Question about VSync and LG C9

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by HonoredShadow, Mar 8, 2022.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I have a 3080 and an LG C9. I have GSync enabled. What do I put VSync on in my games to enable GSync? VSync on or off to enable?

If it's on then fine but what does off do?

Thank you and sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

2. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    i leave all v-sync off , global and nvidia profile for the game itself , also in-game v-sync off
    never any problems or tearing
    a lot of people recommend g-sync + v-sync + fps limit a few frames under native HZ
    never used it like that , just turned VRR and adaptive-sync on my G7 and that's it ...
    games run fine either way , these days tearing isn't a problem anymore , frames get pumped out so fast and much , you'll barely notice any tearing

SerjRozov and HonoredShadow like this.
  3. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
  4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    If you don't want image tearing when using G-Sync / VRR, enable V-Sync in-game or the Nvidia Control Panel.

Forcing V-Sync off everywhere will allow the frame rate to exceed the display's refresh rate and since variable refresh rate only works within a certain range on the display, your PC will use more power than you may prefer and also send more frame data to your display than it can show in one refresh.

Tearing can still occur even with G-Sync / VRR enabled if you disable v-sync everywhere, it will just be a small line near the bottom of your screen when the frame rate is within the variable refresh range of your display.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Archvile82 and HonoredShadow like this.

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Yes I don't want tearing with G-Sync on so I might just force it on. I have my fps locked to 100fps on this 120hz screen so I guess V-Sync on will be hardly any latency compared to off?

Thanks again.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    See #3 .
    Short answer: Use VRR + vsync with the best fps limiter available for a given game (Reflex > in-game limiter > ultra low latency ultra in driver for D3D9/11 > regular driver limiter/RTSS).