Question about Vista activation

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Merton, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    They are just faking it somehow.

The volume key thing can be manipulated with making the copy report to a KMS server that isnt a microsoft one (companies can run these internally) so by setting up a fake one it can reauthorize that cracked copy every few months without you taking notice its even doing it.

Volume licensing has always been the only true preactivated licensing for windows.

OEMs "appear" that way but if you reinstall an OEM copy, you normally have to reactivate (if your activations are up)

Take a look here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...s-vista-kms-server-for-local-self-activation/

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Someone posted a screenshot of them running the torrent install with Vista SP1 and showing the script to check your license. It doesn't say it is a Volume License, it says it is Activated. (I believe if you have a volume license, Vista will tell you how many days until it needs to be reactivated).

It also says "DELL OEM".

Edit, the CMD in the picture shows that they ran this command "c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -dlv" (no idea what that does)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  3. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    I just ran that and its a bunch of details reguarding the activation.

It says i have Vista Business RETAIL Channel

it lists activation ID, installation ID, etc.

License status: licensed

so i guess the only place its going to show a difference is the Retail, OEM, DELL OEM, etc place.

I cant tell you exactly how they are doing that particular one without doing it myself and dissecting it but if its a torrent and you didnt pay for the key...its still against the law.

4. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Cool, thanks for the info.

Yeah, like I said before, I am not going to get the torrent, I was just intrigued.
    I am going to get the Business version from my college.

5. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock

That was to nemes1s.

I think MS charges too much for retail. But retail also provides support with it from MS.

Part of the OEM agreement is that whoever buys the Key will provide support for that OS install. Which is fine with me.

6. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    You have a problem paying $100 you dont know how lucky you are.I live in uk and have vista home basic full retail and that cost me £180 and our £ is worth 2$ i think that vista ultimate costs £300 so that would be 600 bucks.

7. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    So, you automatically assumed piracy? He buys Windows, and installs it on his desktop, and laptop, and you classify this as pirating? Not the brightest tool in the shed are you? And i have had my fair share of MS blunders, but i am still a genuine user. So, please try to actually think before you convey your remarks.

8. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sorry to correct you, but i thought it funny....
    The saying is "not the brightest spark" or "not the sharpest tool in the shed". You mixed the 2 up, and in the nature of your post i thought i would comment, lol. :nerd:

Joking...

9. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    HAHAHAHAHAHA I walked straight into that one! :bang: Oh the irony. Just one of the few side effects of getting to work at 05:00AM every morning!

10. Midi

Midi Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX260 896MB X 2 SLI
    All you have to do is call the Microsoft 800# and tell the operator in India your hard drive crashed & you installed a new mobo...

11. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock

You are an idiot.

He asked if he can use the SAME key to install Windows on two seperate machines at one time.

This is NOT legal and IS! software piracy. He is stealing the right to use windows on a second computer.

Unless he has a volume key with 2 licenses attatched to it, otherwise he is breaking the EULA for every other licensing MS has for Windows.

Im obviously much brighter than you, but you certainly have me in the "tool" area. :)

12. InGen

InGen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    To keep on subject. You could just buy an upgrade disc. Google the upgrade workaround and you'll see why. OEM is ok until you want to upgrade certian hardware and to be honest alot of people on this forum are doing that at least once a year, so in that respect OEM isnt that great of a solution. Sure you call MS and say you had to replace your faulty motherboard and you were unable to get an identical replacement, but how many times are you going to get away with that, once or twice if your lucky?

13. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    :flip2:

14. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Well MS has failed then I did a test installed a vista on 3 computers after successfuly activating all 3 with a OEM liscense I uninstalled 2 eventually

15. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    Did you activate them all online without calling?

They are fairly lenient if you call them and lie to them about your hardware failing.

But the way its SUPPOSED to work is you can activate it a total of 2 times before you have to call, and if you drastically change your hardware it will trigger a deactivation so you have to call and explain yourself.