Question about SLI and fan speed.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YetYhunter, Jun 22, 2009.

1. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    So I have 2 8800 GTS in SLI and the problem is everytime I turn on my PC the cards fan is running at full speed until the boot screen shows on.Then only 1 card returns to normal speed 44% and the other one keeps running at 100% until the desktop shows.
    Is there a way to fix this?

2. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Use Rivatuner or EVGA precision; you choose which card and raise the fan speed

3. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    No.You don't understand me;Sorry my English is bad.

The problem is that one card does not slow down after the bios post like the other one.
    After I press the start button both cards are running at full speed.After the bios post 1 card slows down and the other 1 continues to run at full speed until the desktop shows.It's very load and annoying .It takes about 1 min to boot.

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    If they return to normal when windows boots then you really only have a few things you can try, none of which I personally think will resolve it, but.

1) Update the video card BIOS
    2) Update the motherboard BIOS
    3) Look for any PCIE settings in the motherboard BIOS that may be causing this (though I don't know what that might be).

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Yup.
    Either flash BIOSes or... well... nothing else really... Doubt it's a setting

6. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I have the latest mobo bios.1001 And I tried several other with the same issue.
    The only PCIe settings I have is the speed which is set at 100 mhz.
    How to update video card bios?Isn't that dangerous?
    The cards have different BIOSes.

7. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    About as dangerous as updating the motherboard BIOS... Actually perhaps even a little less dangerous than a motherboard as you can always do a blind flash if something gets borked.

Here are some quick steps:

1) Download the proper BIOS for your video card(s) - both can have the same exact BIOS if you are concerned about that. If they are different manufacturers perhaps you'll want to stick with separate ones, but on the hardware level they should be identical so this doesn't really mater. You can get most BIOS files from http://www.mvktech.net/

2) Create a dos boot disk (or bootable cd).

3) Download and copy nvflash.exe and your BIOS.rom file to the bootable disk.

4) Boot with the disk you created and type "nvflash.exe -b BACKUP.rom" - this creates a backup of your current BIOS.

5) Then type "nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 BIOS.rom" where BIOS.rom is the name of your new/updated BIOS file. The warning here is that the -4 -5 -6 switches will override any checks that prevent the flash from working (these are the only switches that have ever worked for me, and they are mostly undocumented, but I have never had an issue as long as I have the correct BIOS file...)

If you want you can also use NiBiTor to edit a BIOS file to do you overclocks, or fan speeds, etc... I use it in windows to modify my BIOS for overclocks after using software to find the limits. I also use it to change the default fan speeds.

Really, if done correctly there is no harm. And again, it's really no different than updating your motherboard BIOS.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  8. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    There cards are all standard nvidia cards.No OC no nothing.
    I don't have a floppy drive so I will test with a cd.
    Do I have to take 1 card out?

But maybe it's not a video card bios problem.Because I swapped the cards and it's always the card from the second slot that keeps running at full speed.

9. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Using a CD should be fine. Will just have to make sure in you motherboard BIOS that the CD is the first boot device.

You can leave both cards in, nvflash will prompt for both cards. Although it's not really easy to tell which card is getting flashed first. If you are concerned it might be wise to take one card out and do it one at a time.

Try this just as a test, take out the top card and start your system. Does the card in the second slot still do it with the card in the first slot removed? I don't know what that might mean either way, but might be good info to have in case you want to contact the vender (nvidia) with the issue.

10. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I think the mother board is causing the issue because both cards work just fine if placed in the first slot.

And I want to remind you that the fan from the card in the second slot is spinning at full speed until the desktop show then it gets back to normal.And the card from the first slot is getting at normal speed after bios post.

Tomorrow I will run it only with 1 card in the second slot(the problematic one) and see what happens.If it works normally that means it's not a video card bios problem.

11. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Actually that just means it's not related to having both cards in at the same time. That's the only thing you can really determine from this test.

Edit: Just downloaded you mobo manual. Your second PCIe16 slot uses a shared IRQ, the primary is fixed.

Try this, set the Plug & Play O/S option in your BIOS to No... If it is already No set it to Yes. Though I'm betting it's set to yes. The difference is that if set to Yes, then it has to wait until windows loads before it gets an IRQ - if it's set to No then the BIOS assigns the IRQ.

Since this only happens on the slot with the shared IRQ my guess is the fan spins at 100% until it communicates with the mobo (i.e. when windows loads)... The primary PCIe slot has a fixed IRQ so it gets it's communication at BIOS load.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  12. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    You are right Plug & Play O/S option is set to yes.I will set it to no and see what happens.

Edit:Maybe I should mention this.
    The fan issue happens only if I shut down and have to press the power button to turn back on.If I do a simple restart both fans slow down normally.

I set the option to No ,booted up then shut down and and started again but sadly it still happens :(.It's not really a big deal I learned to live with it ,same thing for a year now.

There is another option in the bios , something with primary display can't remember exactly. It's PCI or PCIe;

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009