Question about PSU

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by firebelly, Jan 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. firebelly

firebelly New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    I'm rolling a i7 920 and a GTX 295 on vista x64. My PSU is only 750w. Would this cause the card to lock up when I load a game (enable the 3d engine). I've tried a bunch of drivers, reseated my card, and when ever i load a game it hard locks my system. sometimes it's instant, other times it takes a few mins. This is related to a similar post on the forums but that did lead to a solution.

2. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I would say wattage wise you are fine, but I would go to Coolmaster website and check out the Volts on the +12. On the GTX295 review conducted on this website they used a i7 965 OC'ed to 3.7G and with a GTX295, system under full load only used 416 Watts. In the GTX296 review Hilbert states "The power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 50 Amps available on the 12 volts rails." Here should be the specs on your PSU

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. firebelly

firebelly New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    Looks like it's 4x19 amps on the 4 12v. It's very easy to reproduce. Open a game and bewm.

4. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    What if the PSU supports 4x18 amps only? Will it not run the card 'at all' or will the card run at lower capability (with random freezes and in-game crashes)?

5. firebelly

firebelly New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    i'm curious if anyone else is using Vista x64 and the GTX 295, what they are using as a psu etc. If this continues, i'm going to call newegg and trade this piece of crap in for an X2

6. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    When figuring out the total Amps when you have multiple +12 rails you devide the Watts on the +12V by 12..so that PSU provides 648W on the +12 devided by 12 = 54 Amps on the +12.

7. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. firebelly

firebelly New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    i was using warcraft as my test subject, i turned down all the setting and it worked fine. It had something to do with the AAx8 setting. It has to be related somehow, does this rule out PSU as the cause?

9. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
  10. firebelly

firebelly New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    thanks for all the help these tools should really help out. I had this same problem years ago with my ATI 9700 pro. There some combo of setting that would blow up my system. I just learned to not set those in eve online or half life or whatever.

11. Hitman1985

Hitman1985 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 7950GX2
    Hi, i want to buy new video card evga GeForce GTX 285 , but i dont know if my power supply will support +12 Volt current rating of 40 Amp Amps.) My power supply name is ENERMAX Noisetaker II EG701AX VE(W) SFMA 600W. Here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194005 Can you tell me please if my power supply will support this video card GTX 285.

12. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    That PSU has 35A combined on the +12. It may be a few Amps shy of what Nvidia recommends, but it should suffice.

13. Hitman1985

Hitman1985 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 7950GX2
    Can you tell me please how you get this number 35A, i want to know about for my future. Thank you

14. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's