Question about privacy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by dclsandman, Dec 22, 2003.

1. dclsandman

dclsandman Guest

Hello,

Why are your "Privacy Statement" and "Contact Us" links non-functional? I would have sent this message through the "Contact Us" link if it worked. Since it doesn't, I'm not going to waste my time looking for whichever of you is the top administrator around here.

My Beef:

I find it suspicious that I had to use my ISP provided e-mail address for this site, then I began receiving spam at that address (within an hour of registering) from "Ashley@peel.net". This is the first time I have not been able to register with a hotmail address at a forum. I can understand why someone would want a legitimate address for a forum (to prevent trolling), but I also would expect that address to be kept confidential, out of respect. Maybe this is too much to ask of your site, but since your "Privacy Statement" link at the bottom does nothing, I can't even find out for myself. My ISP provided e-mail address HAD remained spam-free for over two years, but it was spammed within an hour of giving it to this site. Coincidence? I don't buy it.

Please remove me as a member of these forums ASAP and lose my e-mail address, permanently! My request to be removed from the spamming entity's mailing list was, as is typical of such entities, ignored. I hate having to block senders when I shouldn't have to. Why does this site even bother having a "Hide E-mail" option during registration? Seems pointless to me.

~Sandman

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Coincidence, unfortionately everyone receives spam nowadays due to dumb mistakes, spyware etc etc.

We do not use your email for anything at all except validating that you indee are youd claim to be trough a registration email. In fact we don't even use the forum email for our newsletters. That's how private that data is.

3. dclsandman

dclsandman Guest

I understand what you are saying, however, I'd still prefer to have all of my account data permanently removed from your database.

I use Ad-aware 6.0 to constantly and actively intercept spyware and I update the definitions daily. I am still suspicious of this site due to the timing of the spam. I went two years without spam at that address, then I got spammed about an hour after I gave the address to this site. I'm not implying that this site gives away e-mail addresses as part of their policy (although it very well could, since I have no written privacy policy to read and, therefore, no legal recourse against the site if it does do this). I have no way to check the security/encryption of the data that I have provided to this site. Someone could be 'jacking the data for all I know. All I have to go on is the circumstantial evidence: the proximity of the timing to my registration to this site and the lack of spam for such a long period of time before my registration here. When I say long period, I mean never - because I have only been with this ISP for about two years. I've never gotten spam at that address in all that time. I've been very careful not to give that address out until now. Stupid me for being trusting. This was my "dumb mistake".

I only registered to be able to use the search function on these forums to find an answer to a question. It wouldn't let me do a keyword search w/o registering, and I wasn't allowed to register with my hotmail address. Both of these things I find odd and suspicious. The e-mail address "noreply@guru3d.com" is invalid. That is the e-mail address that I was given to me in my registration e-mail to contact the support staff. That is no good either. Also, there is no written Privacy statement available at the link that is provided at the bottom of the main page. I don't like any of this at all.

Please delete all of my information from the(se) server(s). I do not wish to be a member here any longer.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

5. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    Happy trails.. I am realy going to miss that guy Hilbert the forums will not be the same without him ;)