Question about MSI "Tweaker" app for the Lightning 5870

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Soylent, May 29, 2010.

1. Soylent

Soylent New Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti/16GB
    So, from what I understand, the MSI Lightning 5870 card has this technology called "PWM", and from what I can tell, it somehow monitors the load and adjusts the amount of power fed to the card from the power supply.

How, I don't know... but on the card there's a series of 12 LED's that show the current load- 6 green and 6 red. It goes down to 4-5 green LED's when not under load, and it jumps to all 12 when under heavy load (like running a game).

There is an app called "Tweaker". It has no documentation I can find.

Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

My question is, does this program need to start with Windows?
    Do I need this thing for the PWM thing to work?
    What are the KHZ settings for?
    Why does my card still show the LED's according to load whether this app is running or not?

2. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    Startup requirement depends on how the card was designed. I would suspect running tweaker is required to force a non-standard frequency.

PWM frequency will be set (at some default) regardless of tweaker being run.

The board level LEDs are indicating load as you said. What the tweaker "LEDs" indicate is unknown to me--mouse over and see if there are info tips.

kHz:

Most GPU AIBs use PWM-based power controllers/VRMs. Although I don't know of any others which expose the PWM frequency. MSI providing PWM control software for the VRM indicates either the uP6225 VRM on the Lightning has directly variable switching frequency, or there's additional circuitry for control.

PWM refers to the operational frequency of the (switching) power supply or power controller, which affects the MOSFETs used by the power controller. Varying the VRM's PWM frequency essentially changes the (power) efficiency for a given load. More efficient means less waste heat from the power controller circuitry.

...Since efficiency varies with load, that "manual" tool is best used / only useful for tuning for maximum overclock. IIRC my MSI 5770 Hawk is 200 kHz and three phases for the GPU. ...Number of phases and components selection also affects optimum frequencies.

This software is potentially more dangerous than Afterburner...but that depends on how "safe" those frequencies are for the MOSFETs and compoments chosen (by MSI for the Lightning), but they're likely OK since there's an "auto PWM (frequency) switch". It would be a bit absurd to so freely given end users such an easy way to fry their cards.

3. Soylent

Soylent New Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti/16GB
    Wow, thanks... I'm just gonna uninstall it and forget about it :gape:

As for the LEDs on the Tweaker, they mirror what is show on the card's LEDs.

4. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    Since the "PWM Status" LEDs mirrors the PCB load, it would be very interesting to tabulate max stable frequency, V_GPU, and AIB's idle & lower power under those four frequency settings. They could help achieve a higher stable frequencies than normal, and that'd provide some further insights into UPI's VRM's real-world efficiencies.

Please be the guinea pig ;), I'm too much of an underclocker to have much interest in current high power solutions like the 5870s...