Question about motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by LevelSteam, Jan 14, 2014.

1. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    I currently have an MSI 990fxa-gd80 motherboard that has been giving me nothing but problems since the day I got it and I'd really like to just replace it instead of going through the nightmare that is an RMA with MSI. However, I don't particularly want to buy another board from MSI either. I've been looking at the Asus 990fx Sabertooth board, but I've never made a lateral move in terms of motherboard upgrades so I'm a little curious as to whether or not I would have to do a clean install of windows since it's the exact same chipset by a different manufacturer. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Warden 944

Warden 944 Member

GPU:
    550ti GTX Gigabyte
    Well I just swapped the complete mobo bundle. Different everything. Windows 7 needed a new activation but since I had recently done a clean install i didn't bother. Just had to convert my hard drive from native ide mode to AHCI which i doubt you will need to do. Windows found some drivers itself. The rest came with the mobo. About 4 restarts & it was sorted. Pretty painless. Can recommend my own mobo if you don't plan to go sli/crossfire. I'm delighted with it. Not silly money either.

3. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    Well I'm already configured for AHCI so I don't need to worry about that. I've just already reinstalled windows once on my ssd and don't want to needlessly waste more write cycles. I'm probably going to go with the Asus board though, I've heard really good things about it, I just wish I could track down a gen 3 with pcie 3.0...

4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    That one with PCI express 3.0 probably just combines 2 pcie2 lanes since the 990fx doesn't support pcie3 natively.

I have the gen one mobo... no issues. I actually got it after I blew the V-regs on my MSI 790FX while overclocking the 1090t... lol

I wish I waited a few months to get the gen 2 version that supports the Win8 quick boot feature...

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    make a hard disk back up, i believe you have to fresh install..sometime it gives BSOD if you change parts.