Question about "MORE POWER TOOLS" MPT tool for Radeon

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RyzenPower, Dec 2, 2021.

1. RyzenPower

RyzenPower Member

GPU:
    6800m
    Quick question, I wanted to see if MPT auto undervolt, vram tunning and limit temp features working on rx6800m, so I loaded the vbios, selected this features, rebooted and when I tried open and control panel it opened and self closed right away.

In Yellow features I tried enable:
    https://i.imgur.com/nB9Uhlz.png

I DDU and installed new drivers again. Didn't touch MPT again.

1. So by only enable the features but no actually go to turning section and adjust values, it could cause any harm to gpu?

2. If I loaded wrong vBios at first and clicked "write SPPT" and it said "WRONG GPU" error, it didnt write anything and could not harm anything, right?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sold
    You sure that MPT support 6800M?
    If you save your VBIOS via GPU-Z (also not sure if that is supported), you load it into MPT and it didn't report Wrong GPU then it could work.
    Writing to SPPT only writes specific values in windows registry.

3. RyzenPower

RyzenPower Member

GPU:
    6800m
    To explain:

1. I opened MPT, first I accidently selected wrong vBios file not of 6800M and when I pressed WRITE SPPT I got "WRONG GPU" error.

QUESTION: In this action, it did not write anything to GPU/Regedit and could not harm anything right?

2. Then second attempt I selected correct vBios, then enabled this features:
    https://i.imgur.com/nB9Uhlz.png
    And Write SPPT - Worked

3. Rebooted, opened AMD control panel, soon as it opened, it self closed.

QUESTION: By enabling these features in yellow, it could try change any of the settings/power/timings to GPU? or if I did not enter the tunning section and played with it, no changes made at all that could impact the GPU?

4. I DDU, installed new drivers, did not mess with MPT again.

5. To your question: MPT supports RX6000M Series, but not all features working.

I wont touch it again, no need...just thought I could limit temps a bit and drop voltage maybe ... but nah....

4. Banana4Nanners

Banana4Nanners Member Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    Don't use MPT to undervolt, use your Radeon control panel. Only thing I'd use MPT for is for disabling the Deepsleep features that cause the card to go into 2D mode in games that don't stress it enough

5. RyzenPower

RyzenPower Member

GPU:
    6800m
    I won't use MPT, dont need it, but maybe you could just please clarify on my few questions to be sure? Thank you!

6. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sold
    The way you enabled options, that's incorrect way. You would need to show us Power and Voltage TAB.
    Since you are missing an Auto-undervolt GPU in RSX (Radeon Software) and you enabled it via registry while it's not supported, RSX interpret it as bug and close automatically.

7. RyzenPower

RyzenPower Member

GPU:
    6800m
    So no harm or any effect/impact from these actions, right?

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sold
    No, also if something is not supported on your mobile GPU in RSX and you enable it via MPT, GPU frequency/voltage can be stuck at minimum supported frequency.
    That way you will know you entered unsupported voltage/frequency range in MPT.

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    It is actually a good idea to generally use MPT to undervolt instead of Wattman (at least if the card is properly supported, no idea about mobile GPUs), as the latter applies an offset to the whole curve and, depending on the individual card, also seems to calculate it wrong. Thus it's much easier to achieve a stable result with MPT, it just costs a bit more performance when being power limited (so probably undervolt further).

Edit: Referring to RDNA2 only.

10. RyzenPower

RyzenPower Member

GPU:
    6800m
    Maybe you know... [​IMG]

Decided try MPT one more time (no more!): I undervolt rx6800m tonight by 40mV ran few 3dmark sessions and even gaming, but when I woke up, I turned on the laptop from cold off, windows 11 opened on, second later external monitor which is connected via type c turned black and short after internal too and rebooted. After reboot rx6800m was missing from task manager but was listed in device manager I randomly selected latest newest driver from drivers list and reapplied, in middle of windows trying apply the driver it has rebooted, now I see rx6800m in device manager as alive without "!" And rx6800m back in task manager, but rx6800m in crate said something like deep sleep mode or something, and even if I opened gpu-z stress test it didn't wake up. I then DDU and reinstall the driver and all back to normal.... What has just happened??

This was all I changed:

1. Enabled Curve: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/893541203348439081/916447641091571782/unknown.png

2. Changed from 0 to -50mV (later to -40 as -50 crashed timespy): https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/893541203348439081/916458960729542716/unknown.png

I got one more theory

when i booted up this morning

when external monitor turned ON

GPU tried check its boost speeds or something

got no enough voltage

choked up

turned itself off

laptop shortly after reboots

turned into windows with dGPU driver has "!" and not appearing in task manager

so it disabled itself for protection

and only way relive it was full Driver reinstall

--> Does it make sense?

\\\ Final question, this article says undervolt can cause damage:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/65824/can-electronics-be-damaged-by-undervolting-it

In case of this laptop ASUS G513QY (Ryzen 5900HX / RX6800M), what I did could break/damage anything?

Thanks ahead!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021