Question about how AB operates?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by eg1, May 17, 2020.

1. eg1

eg1 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I installed MSI today, began overclocking fine no issues. I went too high so I restarted the computer and redid everything but lower settings to be more stable.

At some point however performance dropped drastically, I open MSI and see my GPU is at 500mhz and voltage is at 0. The computer was super frustrating to use, took 20 seconds to do anything with the lag caused.

I close the app and everything is back to normal. Therefore, I uninstalled, made sure to not save my profiles, and reinstalled, and it's still defaulting to 500mhz and 0 Voltage, causing the same lag on my system. Not sure why the app is by default killing my GPU after a fresh install, but it didn't do that the first time. I only get this issue when the apps open.

Is there something else I have to clear besides the main directory in program files to get my MSI to stop underclocking my GPU? What could be causing this?

Notes:

-i5-4690k @ 4.5ghz stable

-GTX 1060 6Gb (overclock I had +200mhz core +500 memory before it ended up dropping down)
    -Temps never exceeded 53ish for GPU.

-z97x SLI mobo

-I have checked to have voltage monitoring on, voltage control on, forced voltage on, nothing changes.

Feel free to correct me / request more information to help! I tried googling this but came up with people just purposefully underclocking which isn't my issue.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

App is not “by default killing your GPU”. Avoid overclocking with such knowledge, it is not for beginners.

3. eg1

eg1 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I understand - I didn't mean it quite literally, but it just seems like it's not responding to any changes I'm doing to it. Even when I tediously reset every value to default ( +0 Mhz, normal voltage, etc.,) it still stays 500mhz and 0 voltage, despite being at default like it was when I first installed it earlier in the day when it was working fine.

So I just wondered if there was an area that I could modify/delete to fully reset it or something since uninstalling and removing the program files didn't work.