Question about gtx460 power connectors

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rmcat, Nov 28, 2010.

1. rmcat

rmcat New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC 1GB
    Just bought myself a Gigabyte gtx460 SOC and encountered a problem during the installation. I knew that 460 needs two 6pin power connectors and have checked my power supply(500w w/ two free 6pin's),then when I put the new card in and found out that the two 6pin's are actually extended from one 6pin like a Y connector or something(as shown on the pics),I connected them to the card and everything looks fine even after 3 straight hours of gameplay,

Now after 2 days of using there hasn't been any signs of instability,but I remember seeing somewhere that gtx460 could run with one 6pin however it's not recommeded and not stable,especially the card I got is factory-oc'ed to 815/4000,but I've also seen ppl saying that they used Y 6pin splitter to make one 6pin to two for their 460

So now my question is whether I should keep this card running in this way or switch to a 6850 which only requires one 6pin...

BTW there's only one free 4pin connector left in my computer case so I can't use 4pin to 6pin converters

My computer is Acer M5811 w/ i7 860/8G/1TB/H57

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nightwalker342

nightwalker342 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC
    You're fine, that is how it is supposed to look. Most PSU's nowadays that have PCI-e connectors are setup like that. That is why it has one of those connectors with the 2 pin adapter, it's for running the higher end cards that require a 6 pin and 8 pin. If it's running fine right now, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.