Question about drivers for radeon video cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by topcat77, Jan 6, 2018.

1. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    So I was looking at maybe a new radeon video card. How are these drivers with the exception that its software. Last driver I used was the catalyst maybe 14.xx.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Very happy with Adrenalin series.

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Not good. You should consider how is it possible more expensive cards from Nvidia are still much more profitable. Everyone wants an nvidia gpu once a lifetime and almost never return red. But, each to his own. If you want to risk lower quality software, let it be.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Incomprehensible babble.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Bought any new freesync monitor to support red m8? If not, you are babbling worse.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Erm, what? Come again?

Are we cheering for football teams here?

Mooby29 likes this.
  7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    The drivers are great at the moment...

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    When I used my 6850 for a long time, Catalyst worked great, there were no problems and I thought everything was fine, but then when I moved to an R9 285, omg, the drivers were a pain in the arse, some things breaking, fixes for games took a long time, things were difficult but then it all changed when Crimson drivers came out, super fast driver interface, really easy to use, countless bugs fixed and the support has ever been improving, today with my Fury, Crimson has been great, there was the exception that I had some issues with Netflix but those have been fixed.

Drivers have come a long way, there are still some things that need work but in comparison to Catalyst, they are miles ahead and I think they're great.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's exactly what happens every single time there is a thread about specific GPU manufactures, better / worse

10. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    Thanks everyone for the great help. I don't mean to start a debate, but was just looking for some hands on advise. Now that my wifes gpu (my old 7870 before the 970) has died. So I have to get another gpu soon. With the 1070/1080 out of reach I'm looking into a 1060. But seeing the 1060 are in a race for the moon in price and the lack of availability I thought about a RX580. But had no ideal what the driver state was.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    AMD over the course of the last 1.5yrs has rebuilt their dev team and pulled their collective heads out of their arses, and have been rebuilding their drivers. Crimson was a transitional build from the old Catalyst base to an updated design, and Adrenalin has addressed Crimson's shortcomings. Wattman support for pre-Polaris is about the most annoying niggle so far.

12. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Stable as rock, for me anyway. GUI and UX are much better than NvCPL. NvCPL is simple but it's not responsive, Radeon Settings is smoothy even though is pretty and modern.
    I have GTX 970 in my old rig so I have real-time comparision.

13. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    I recently switched from an RX470 which I had for a year.
    AMD drivers didn't gave me a single issue.
    The Radeon settings is a great gpu control panel.

In my opinion you don't have to worry about AMD drivers.

14. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    using a 470 here i have had zero issues with amd. Been using them for years and yes some drivers did drive me crazy but nowadays they have been working great and fixing alot of issues that come up.