Question about disk cloning

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Robox1, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Robox1

Robox1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    One thing is not clear to me:

if the disk to be cloned is 500GB, the space occupied is 150GB, can a 250GB target disk be used?

Will the result be a 250GB final drive with 150 occupied and 100GB free usable?

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Create a destination partition on the target drive same size or more as the source partition.
    Clone is partition to partition.
    The storage difference should apply basic math and give more or less the desired result.
    There a tons of cloning tools.
    Choose one.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    That`s the question about features of cloning software - can it clone with resize or not. If yes then answer to your question is "yes".

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I suppose the term clone does always mean identical sizes of source and destination. So I've in the past resized the source before cloning if the destination has insufficient space. Used Aomei, Macrium and Easeus; mostly Easeus.

5. Robox1

Robox1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    I cloned with Macrium Reflect and if I start the cloned SSD (both by selecting it as a priority in the bios and by starting it alone connected) (I specify that it is a bios of an Asus P5GCMX MB so I don't think they are problems related to UEFI) it gives me as message at startup "Reboot and select proper boot device".
    I tried to select "mark as active partition" from disk management and now it gives me as message at startup "BOOTMGR is missing"

6. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Is the original disk created and formatted with UEFI? Or MBR?