question about Audyssey 2EQ and 192 Khz sources

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Rootdown, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR609&class=Receiver&p=i

I have it hooked up to my Auzentech Home Theater HD through HDMI. It seems if the receiver receives a 192Khz source the Audyssey 2EQ callibration is unavailable. It works fine at 96Khz and lower. Is this a design limitation of either my reveiver or Audyssey 2EQ or is there some sort of defect? Nothing is mentioned on neither the Onky or Audyssey websites.

thanks for any input.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would say check the manual but it may just be the way the unit operates.

3. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    considering 96k is over kill anyways i wouldn't worry about it.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well that is an opinion.
    Many newer BD are in 24/96 or 24/192 surround in many cases. Why not use it?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I can tell the difference between the '96K surround' (fed to stereo) and '192K stereo' tracks on the Eagles - Hotel California SACD.
    192K is quite a bit crisper and more airy, not a small difference.

I thought 96K was fantastically clear, 192K is another step up.

edit:
    ah, its not 96 vs 192, they use a mad sampling rate with SACDs.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  6. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Hey Muff, how's you, and how's your gear going? My X-Fi only goes to 96khz, but it's good enough for me...

regards,
    RagDoll.

7. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Just worked out something :banana: In Windows 8, I'm getting 32bit 96khz sound and it's a major difference going from 24 bit:banana:

regards,
    RagDoll.

8. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Any examples maybe? I've been trying to find some movies that feature it for quite a while. Most show up as 16-bit/48kHZ on my PC / ht system.

9. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    My Alan Parsons DVD-A collection is all in 192khz...and I have no other audio source that can even BEGIN to compare to how open and crisp they are...not even close. :)

perfect reference material :)

but in reference to your question...I do know that years ago...*the last time I bought a receiver*, the ONLY way I could accomplish 192khz was to go thru analogue...as the digital would top out at 96khz...

and using HDMI....thats just another factor yet again....hmm....cause i know that surround with hdmi thru ati cards, isnt exactly...easy, with hdmi.....in fact in my case..i just ruled it out...when i went with my Essence STX...quality over quantity for me :) which is why I dont use Bose :)

10. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    it's not that i prefer 192Khz it's that i have some 192Khz sources and the Audussey callibration is unavailable with these sources. the Audyssey EQ correction really helps my system out and i would like to be able to use it with my 192Khz sources.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am talking about BD....Blueray audio. 16/48Khz is basically just DVD audio although found on some BD's. also.
    Not all BD are higher bit rate but some of them are and now with the mainstream moving to HDMI you will get more and more of them.

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, of course. But are you talking about movie audio or the audio of, let's say, live concerts or something alike?
    Only very few of my friends use SACD and only a few players support it.
    My PC has the same playback abilities as my home theater but it's easier for me to get the playback information (using PowerDVD 10) concerning bitrates.
    The typical audio from a DTS-HD stream has a much higher bitrate than what I see from a normal Dolby Digital stream but I haven't seen anything like a higher resolution yet (some older DVDs had 24/96 but I'd yet have to see it from a BD).

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have seen movies and concerts with 24/96 and higher.
    Here is a bunch of BD is 24/96 have a look here-> Link

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hiya Ragdoll
    Feeling crap, but the gear is beyond wicked :D
    Since the speakers have run in even more (well beyond 1000 hrs), I've found its worth playing with the toe in angle again.
    With speakers pointing straight forward, it is now a most incredible 3D soundstage.
    ie you can tell where things are left/right, up/down and back/forward.

Even better, depending how close you sit to the speakers, it varies the effect a lot.
    Sat back (3.5m away) makes the sound image concentrate more on the central singer/instruments, but still with a good 3D image too.
    Sat forward (2.5m away) makes the image MADLY 3D but still with a very good central image.
    For example, on Michael Jacksons Thriller album, many sounds shift to well outside the speakers to your left/right sides, you feel like you are sat right in the the middle of it!

To clarify my experience with the 96 vs 192K...
    In my last post, I got confused with some 5.1 vs stereo test tracks which are 96 vs 192, and can tell a difference between them.
    But on those, it isnt enough to make me pay for the difference, 96K will do fine.
    I'll check them again when I have made my silver cables and got the new amp.

I'm baffled with the Eagles SACD I mentioned earlier because, the stereo tracks are a lot clearer but they have the same bitrate etc per channel as the 5.1 tracks.
    Looks like they deliberately made the 5.1 version have lower detail with the same bitrate, bits/sample and sampling rate.
    Odd.

Yeah, I agree, 96K material is probably the highest you need to go with an X-Fi.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @rob: Thanks alot for the information! I'm glad I didn't miss anything or had one of my systems set up the wrong way.

@mufflore: So you're saying your front speakers are all pointing into the same direction? Not the typical stereo triangle with equal distances between the speakers and your typical listening position?

16. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Mufflore means that they aren't toed in on an angle, just facing straight forward. This opens up the sound more for him, providing a 3D soundstage, surrounding and immersive :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks, that's how I understood it :) I just never tried it myself and always followed the "everything equal" formula (identical speakers, identical distance, identical cable length with all speakers aiming at the same point), his approach sounds interesting though.

18. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I agree :)

Well Mufflore built his own speakers, so :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Bang on.

Radical_53, its worth experimenting, different speakers/types respond differently.
    I didnt expect pointing these speakers forward to be so much better than directly at my ears.
    The nearer these speakers are to pointing directly at me, the more the soundstage in between them closes in, the central image gets very strong and precise but becomes literally a spot in the air.
    Opening the speakers out widens the central image slightly and microdetail emerges everywhere between the speakers and outside of them too with some recordings.

forgot to say:
    When the speakers were running in, directly forward didnt work so well.
    Because each instrument/vocal wasnt so well defined, I found that a slight toe out (from fully toed in) worked best .
    It was through curiosity one day that I gave them another shot fully toed out/directly forward.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    A note about speaker setup: Having your speakers set up and aiming the right way is really a big deal.
    Sometimes, simple differences in angle, height, or position can make a big difference in what you hear. Subwoofers are another device that needs to be in the right position in your room for optimal response.

If anybody has anything to offer, feel free!