Quesion about Q6700 and computer issue

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by ARMYguy, May 26, 2010.

1. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    Quesion about Q6700 and computer heat issue

Recently i have been suffering from my computer just out right shutting down after some time in certain games. Notably Dawn of War 2 and Bad Company 2. I have noticed that if i leave my case panel off it will not usually crash in DOW2 but will still just shut down in BC2 after an hour or more of gaming. I have my CPU OCed to 3.2 with a massive Zalman copper sync on it, but it still says at idle my 4 cores are in the 48 to 50c range.

My quesion is this. What is a good idle temp, and what would you guys do in this situation? I think its happening more now cause its summer, plus my Fermi, the two arent really friends here. Thanks!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. It's either overheating (very likely considering those idles) or an unstable overclock. Either way there is something wrong with the way your cpu cooler is operating.

3. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    I want to say the heat sink is choked with dust. This pc was built when the Q6700 was the best cpu out, and i have never removed the sink to clean it since. I dont even remember how to remove it now lol... guess i have some work to do...

4. Definitely clean it out, and get some new arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

5. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    I appreciate the response !

6. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    What are your temps under load?

7. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    I havent been able to game yet to determine them. I know that just watching a youtube brings them up to 65 - 70 c though. That seems a little steep to me for such things.

EDIT I just played a little BC2 was at 95 c after 4 min of play.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. gampamu

gampamu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    No doubt the problem is due to overheating from clogged coolers. Take the computer outside and blow it clean with a couple of cans of compressed air.

9. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    Im going one step farther and am going to completely break it down, take the heat sink off and completely clean it and probably put the computer in a superior case. This is an old thermaltake case thats like 6 years old, and has really crappy air flow.

10. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    u don't have to break it down ..just take it to a car service where they have air compressor and blow everything out of it (not including hardware) :)