Quantum Break

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Jan 26, 2016.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's probably using an internal XBox emulation framework, so that explains it. These were more popular in the past for "porting" console games to PC, but thankfully died off. But it seems some devs still use them?

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Northlight was designed for the Xbox, as Quantum Break was not originally intended to come to PC.
    Remember, that Remedy spent years working on QB for XBox One... and then MS only gave them a handful of months to develop the PC version.

And while the STEAM release is much better, it was still a very rushed release and not given the time it really needed.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Now I remember the story. It was so weird that the Win10 version runs worse than the Steam version but I guess they've learned from those mistakes.

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Remedy have said that future releases for PC will be given proper treatment and time, leading to better releases.
    They used Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake as examples of how "good" they are hoping future PC releases will be.

5. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Sure. That's what they say.. Alan Wake was a good port on the PC. However, Quantum Break was released several years after Alan Wake. What happened ?

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Microsoft only gave them a few months to do the PC version of Quantum Break.

Quantum started as an Xbox One exclusive, and was developed it's entire cycle as an exclusive for the console. MS gave them permission to do a PC release only months away from the game's April release, and then told them it had to release the same day as a DX12 Win10 exclusive.
    The STEAM release runs better because they were able to use DX11, an API they were more familiar with... and they did have a little more time for that release. But, it was still a very rushed cycle as MS own the Quantum Break IP and control how it's handled.

It's why the TV episodes are not downloadable on PC. Remedy wanted them fully available to PC players, but MS doesn't. So, they can only be viewed by streaming from MS' servers... which offer horrible streaming performance.

Alan Wake is owned entirely by Remedy and it's PC version was given over a year to be developed properly, and was developed by Remedy and Nitro Games providing support.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I must say I just started playing this game and I finished ACT 3 so far.For some reason I am enjoying the hell out of this game,also love the live action streaming thing.
    For 20 dollars Canadian ,it is a great freaking game.

The Phoenix likes this.
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Haven't tried it. If I remember correctly, it was plagued with issues at launch. I take it everything got worked out? Are you playing the MS Store or Steam version?

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Things are definitely better but it takes a lot of tweaking to get it to run at 60fps which is super important since it doesn't support Triple buffering.

10. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Quantum break on xbox runs in just medium settings, and PC version with the same settings runs very well. It's just max details (with upscaling off) makes that game very demanding

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah I found out FastSync, 2frames to render ahead + 60fps rtss limiter = smooth gaming, even at 55ish fps drops.

AsiJu likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think I simply tweaked the graphics down a notch to ensure 60fps :) But what you did works as well and I did try something similar.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL sorry about the late reply,put down the game for a couple weeks to finish up some other games.Just played through act 4 and halfway through act 5,and I am still thinking to myself what a great game.I do not over analyze games but this one has struck that right gaming feel that rarely ever happens.
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is another game that had the same feeling back in 2002-2003 for me.

Anyway I am playing Steam version.Maxed out 1920 x 1080 and have not encountered any problems on single 1080Ti 144hz screen.
    FPS are stable and are fine except when it goes to 30FPS cutscreen then I can notice it.
    This game for FPS is better than other games I am running 1920x1080 maxed,some other games same settings maxed are just really jarring and bad .
    This game is fine for me FPS wise.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Really? *off to try* :)

Also agree with what gerard said above, QB is helluva fun game, has exactly that "gaming" feel to it so often missing nowadays.

-Tj- likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes, nothing else helped, idk now with RS3 update, should be even better. Killing Floor 2 is smoother (better latency?) compared to RS2

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Oh nice! Guess I'll download RS3 with MCT and try it out.

Btw I guess RS3 = WDDM 2.3
    are there WDDM 2.3 compliant NV drivers out yet? Have skipped quite a few versions.

17. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    played the windows store version last night hoping for performance fix after creators fall update , i was not surprised that the game ran even worse

18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Not trying to be that guy and I know you have the best gear.
    Just for fun I tried the game in DX11(J/K I do not have DX12 windows version)
    2560 x 1440 maxed ultra up-scaling off ,seemed to hold around 60FPS in fighting so not too bad.Up-scaling on holds around 100FPS 2560x1440.
    Runs better than others games I have played.
    I played the game 1920 x1080 and I really did not have and FPS problem at all in DX11.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i'll give the dx11 ver. a try

20. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    dx11 version does run better , it doesn't hold 60fps maxed 1440p though , in that parking lot gun fight early in the game at least