Quantum Break

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Jan 26, 2016.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Went and bought the game (Steam obv.), definitely fun and cool!

Solid 60 fps (except for some dips, probably due to streaming data as they even out) @ 1080p with Ultra preset and upscaling off.

Disabling upscaling increases GPU workload a lot, with upscaling enabled GPU load was around 50-60 % at the intro scene (getting out of the taxi).
    With upscaling disabled GPU usage was over 90 %!

The game also seems to run smoother with Vsync in borderless window. Fullscreen had a lot of framedrops with Vsync on.

2. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Just bought a steam key and i am impatient to test/play this game. Happy you said this AsiJu.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    In this case different store and different API in each one give us very different results in performance in Nvidia and AMD.

I guess MS can pay for a few time-limited exclusive per year for his Windows 10 Store.

As a result you'll see more cases like QB.:3eyes:

That number will be nowhere near than "every game that support Dx11 and Dx12 or Vulkan".

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Np, hoped someone would find it useful. The game is demanding though, both CPU and GPU usages for me are very high. My i5 just manages to keep up I think.

Once you get the game running, just use the autodetected settings but disable upscaling. Then work from there if necessary.

5. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    ok i will start from there :)

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    It's the same game, either it's coming from uplay, origin, steam, windows store is irrelevant imo.

APIs is the main difference and indeed, i don't think we should make a thread for each API a game use.

If i wanna speak about Quantum break storyline, plot holes, missing or great gameplay features, where should i post it?
    Not everything is about game rendering/framerates :p

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's not irrelevant at all in this case because the API is linked to a specific store and each API/Store give very different performance results on Nvidia or AMD and until now we still need one dedicated GPU to play graphical demanding PC games.

You are free to post where you want. :D

If rendering/framerates were not important we all be still playing on 8 bit consoles or discussing this game on a Xbox One forum because this is a console game ported to PC.

I guess that you discuss about this PC game because you play it(or want to) using an AMD GPU or a Nvidia GPU, it's not a philosophical gaming discussion without first hand contact to gameplay.

8. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    I am disappointed by the graphic side of this title.
    Not to mention what has been revealed eversince about mgpu usage. I knew it when purchased it.
    It has to be because of the other titles im playing which are way more tunable and nicer (that is sublective yes). First impression though.

I ain't giving up, lets go deeper and go thru the story :)

Edit: using windows 8.1

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    My wife got me Quantum Break on STEAM as an anniversary gift.

And, having played the Win10 Store version from start to finish... twice. I was very excited for this DX11 release.

And, I've since finished Act 1 and started up Act 2.
    My thoughts? WHY wasn't this the version released for PC?

In the Win10 version I could maintain about 45 to 50fps with Upscaling On. With Upscaling Off... I'd be able to run about 30, but it would dip and hitch from time to time. It wasn't a "great' experience.
    But, the great story and Remedy flare kept me going.

Now, this version, with Upscaling On... I can hit about 110fps. With Upscaling Off... and adaptive V-sync on (through NCP) I can hold a solid 60fps. Only dropping during cutscenes, which are at 30fps... but it always goes right back up to 60.
    This is SUCH a better version of what is a great game. Now, I know it's not like this for AMD users as they are not experiencing the performance benefits. But, as an Nvidia user... this is fantastic.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Based on a True Story

[​IMG]

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    I fully know why... but it's just mind boggling how much better the STEAM version is.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I guess this is a rhetoric question. :)

I know that you know the answer: MS DX12 campaign to move PC gamers to his Store AND Windows 10.

The main fail in this expensive MS campaign is that nobody at MS HQ seems to have realized the major part of PC gamers use an Nvidia GPU to play games and DX12 is still not very Nvidia friendly.

I understand AMD "support" of AOTS DX12 showcase: it exposes AMD GPUs advantage over Nvidia GPUs and maybe this operation sells some (or a lot) AMD GPUs.MS don't sell GPUs: they try to move gamers to Windows 10 and they try to sell some games in the process. :3eyes:

Nvidia GPU owners who didn't buy the Windows Store version are happy now, they can buy a cheaper and more performing Steam DX11 version and play iton Win 7/8/8.1...or even Win 10.The Nvidia GPU owners who bought the Windows Store version owning a Nvidia GPU must be VERY upset right now.

Is MS really expecting good sells in his store if the games are only in DX12 and the Nvidia GPU performance bad?If this is the MS policy for the next months timed-exclusive Xbox One/Windows 10 DX12 games Gabe Newell should not worry about Windows 10 Store "competition" as game seller. :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well the Steam version has advantages for AMD users too via the more mature and developed Steam platform itself and from the various tests and comparisons I've checked framerate isn't impacted much (If at all.) with the game now going from DX12 to DX11 though there's no gains either such as the 20 - 30% seen with many Nvidia GPU models. :)

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hmm... I can see though why the game needs a lot of hardware power.

Seems even with antialiasing and upscaling disabled the game still forces antialiasing on.
    The resulting image is clearly antialiased. Actually can't really see any difference with AA on or off in settings.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    They make use of MSAA yes, not exactly sure what the AA setting itself does but I think it further applies some post-process AA on the 4x or what it was MSAA further reducing aliasing.

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think this game will be an exception. I really don't expect other (W10 exclusive) games to follow suit, especially not after all the positive that's come out of this. (yeah, this world is f****d-up).

Expect the "lid" to be tightened and from here on in; QB will be the only "successful" game to be released for DX11 that was originally DX12.

The penny dropped, but, it'll be the only one.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, first party MS titles like HALO, Gears of War... Forza... yeah, those won't ever appear on STEAM. They'll remain tightly controlled and held on the Win10 Store.

Others though, titles made by studios outside MS's complete control like Remedy... they will have the option to bring their titles to other platforms.
    After a timed exclusivity deal of course.

Thankfully Remedy is a company that was born on PC, and listened to it's fans. People wanted the game on STEAM, and Remedy pushed to make it happen.
    I know a lot of people are talking crap on Remedy after the Win10 release, and while they do hold some responsibility... the fact that the PC version was added to late to the development of the game... it's not entirely fare to dump it all on them.

MS shoulders the most of that blame.

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Running the game 4k with AA off between 30-50FPS, the steam version, with my OC-ed 980-ti . Really fun game so far, and it runs great.

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    How did you fix your black-screen problem?

20. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Those are the 3 titles I'd say we all wanted on PC from Xbox/X360 days (I also wanted a Fight Night game tbh). Of those titles, we got 3 of them (Halo 1+2 and 1st GOW).

Everything about GOW4 for me is pointing to a resource hog game (similar to initial QB release) that once again might need GTX1080 for 60FPS. I might be wrong, but, that's the impression I'm getting.