Quantum Break for PC?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yeah, 10 seconds to take the money out of your account and two weeks to put it back in. Clearly so they can earn some interest on your cash while you wait for it to be refunded. Disgusting really.

2. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The thing is that dx12 is gonna make crappy ports even crappier, lazy devs can no longer rely on the driver to manage resources... on the bright side such devs are gonna get much more exposed.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Alan Wake had very demanding light shafts too, driver update fixed it later, but it was still too demanding, lowering one value won't hurt its looks much and it will run faster too..

Imo this async bull**** is taken too much out of context, nv had it since Fermi in cuda and things won't change in the future Pascal/Volta, all they need is now driver part converting it into Dx api from nvapi.

I would rather see dev making native resolution option and get rid off that crap 50fps limit and poor frame pacing.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pretty funny to see it from a MS published title though.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    And Remedy released updates for Alan Wake to improve the game's optimization.

The game does need work.
    But, I also look forward to seeing what happens in May when MS update the Win10 store.
    Hopefully that's the update that will disable the "always on" v-sync that gets in the way on certain titles.
    And allows use of overlays.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Much exposed than in DX11 games.Yes, but...In which way is this better for us PC gamers? :3eyes:

DX12 it's a dream come true for GPU makers drivers teams, specially in the driver multi-gpu support: point finger to game devs (and middle finger up for customers).

Some game devs like BuggySoft want to be "fair" with console gamers and some publishers like Microsoft seems to have the same desire for their own console users.

I believe Remedy did his best to provide a good game port to PC but it was simply impossible due to time to delivery, DX12 novelty and UWP limitations all coming from the publisher: Microsoft.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that the first two DX12 games on the Windows Store are MS games "exclusives" ported from Xbox One AND have a lot of problems in PC?

I don't think so.

What went wrong with Quantum Break on PC?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    Regardless i would like developers to stop using this windows store crap, unless the may update will resolve it's issues.

Optimization of last pc games is just so bad, that i don't even wanna play anymore.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While I don't mind the store in principal, the implementation is terrible and you can't help think someone in the community would have been able to help with these games had they been released on another platform.

Optimisation does seem to be at an all time low, shouldn't take a 980ti/Fury X to run this at 1080p.

I still have a 3-4 year backlog with games so having a great time with my setup, but not looking forward to catching up.

9. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
  10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    It's a "dirty" "straight" port from x1 to PC with minimum optimisations for PC. It was done this way to make it look like the x1 version, regardless of gfx features or resolution. DX12 has changed nothing; you still need the highest-end cards to run new games which is counter to what dx12 was supposed to do which is to bring better performance across all supported dx12 hardware.

The status quo hasn't changed and games like this force users to upgrade, thinking their hw isn't good enough anymore.

11. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    As far as I'm concerned, any game under microsoft's rug is screwed eternally forever. I dont think six years later when UWP is dead we can salvage these turd ports in any way.

We got lucky that rottr released simultaneously for steam, I don't think this will happen often.

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    +100

I can almost see the flood of "fu ms" and "give me my money back" threads already.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thankfully I have not noticed much in the way of texture pop in while playing the PC version (the Xbox One version on the other hand...) and the game seems to run fine for me with no noticeable framepacing issues or stutters (except for the time variety in the game, obviously). Guess I am one of the lucky ones who has been able to play this game without issue but I feel sorry for anyone who is isn't.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Nowhere in those tweets does he say "it can't be fixed/changed".
    He simply answers, it's how the engine does things. That's not a definite answer or a flat line fact of "If can not be changed".

That just screams of over-reacting to a developer comment.
    He says the texture streaming is a quirk of the engine, quirks can be fixed and optimized.
    The ghosting, it's part of how the engine renders. Again, he doesn't say they can't do anything to improve how it looks.

15. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It could be better at least for mainstream users (the wider breach between good and bad ports) because now poor ports will have more chances to cause problems to everybody, even high end users, hence devs and publishers start to commit more to their job.

And of course it´s no coincidence that these ms games have problems, they paid for cheap ports.

16. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    I am not overreacting, when he talks about the ghosting he's also indirectly talking about the temporal reconstruction, so if he says "that's the way our engine renders" it means, IMO, that things aren't going to change substantially, which brings me to the conclusion that the only way to get the image sharper is to crank the resolution way high in order to improve the IQ. About the word "quirk" I thought it meant smth like "oddity", so i assumed it was another thing bound to the engine and hard to fix. Just a supposition though.

Currently however I cannot play the game at my actual native resolution (1440p), even by lowering volumetric shadows to the minimum. Some of the last levels are too intensive and the game results in a slide show. Ok, I am having some faith as well, but those system requirements were totally a joke, and it must be said the game has been published with many flaws, also because of the Win Store.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  17. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    Same here. Just completed the game, and man- what a ride:). I really like this game, definitely going to replay it. No big issues here either. The game runs just fine on my rig. No crashes or noticeable stutters.

18. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    At which level of detail?

19. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    1080p, Ultra settings

20. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    A Titan X for 1080p?

Anyway, if you manage to go through all that blur, good for you. To me is really too much, sometimes it puts my sight under strain. Such a shame, because I love the game and I almost got to the end, despite the technical limitations. I really hope I'll be able to go do a second playthrough with a patched game.