Quake Remastered

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT

LanSer likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This just kills my dream of full fat Quake 5 with latest id tech engine.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Free update if you already own Quake in Steam!

Nice.

Hope it retains the original too, for mod support.

4. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Update is free and even if you never owned quake it's 10 bucks (and if you did but did not own expansions you get those for free now).
    Honestly i'd say it's appropriate because aside from exclusive episode it seems to be just another source port that is as vanilla as it can be.

I find it funny because it was rumored to be since last couple of months but the rumors also mentioned raytracing and other bells and whistles.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Hell yes!!!

I remember Duke Nukem coming out and I was like "Thanks but no".

Quake came out and it was all I wanted from a shooter. Remember standing there, being completely mind blown by the stunning graphics after I loaded into the game. Stood there realising I had to pick my difficulty.

It looked glorious at 380x240. Then I got a 3Dfx Voodoo. And everything changed, forever.

Best shooter of it's generation.

One thing, this is meant to be a remaster but I don't really see any remastered graphics in the video. I would kill to see the OG Quake remade properly. Not Quake 2 in RTX, that game can go do one, nobody cares. Quake, the OG Quake is where it's at!

Noisiv likes this.
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I believe there's source ports of Quake on PC that sometimes look better than this?

7. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Looks are subjective but in terms of raw graphics there's at least 2 or 3 that you could easily put ahead of this one.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I never played Quake, so yay?

Is it on Steam, GOG or Epic else i'm not interested.

9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    TheDeeGee likes this.
  10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    So that means we probably see a new Quake game after they have done with all the remakes?

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Also includes Quake 64 as an optional download in the add on's section on the main menu.

I've played the first three levels of the original and this is an excellent update, graphics are good but keep a lot of the original feel and look. It also runs on Vulkun, just don't upcap the fps.... lol over 1800-2000fps hahahaha :D

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

Maddness and Noisiv like this.
  13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Two problems:
    1. When stand still and turn the camera, motion is buttery smooth but when I move the Quake guy in any direction, there is some kind of constant micro stutter which immediately stops when I stop moving.
    2. I have to load my save game twice as the menu resets upon first load.

Anyone else have these errors?

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    1. Yep, but it's the same with vanilla Quake and at least Darkplaces source port. Just how the movement is.
    If you mean a visual very slight stutter but one that doesn't show in frame time graphs.

2. Saves load fine first time for me.

16. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    20 years later and I still have not got my $10USD mail in rebate from these people on the Quake PC game. Screw them the game sucked and I never played past first level. Actually owned all the quake games and have not finished any of them.Know some people that swear they are the best games ever made,I just do not agree with them and that is fine.

17. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Weird laggy movement, stuttering while moving, bugged menus, fixed hud size (or maybe I am blind), graphic glitches around 2D hud elements, icons and letters, etc. Remaster from Bethesda, yay! I would take vkQuake source port over this any time - no stuttering whatsoever. Plus Arcane Dimensions is everything I ever needed for a healthy retro dose.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    You're not the only one.

Steam forum is full of the issues you describe.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    1. Hm, I finished Q1 a few years ago but don't remember having those problems (except hassle getting widescreen to work). And yea, something like what you describe.
    2. Weird, I'll have to try a few things.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I love Quake, far more than the generic Sci-Fi themed Quake 2 that followed. The gothic atmosphere and level design were awesome. I think the Nightdive remaster is excellent and had great fun playing it most of the day yesterday on my PC (where it was a free upgrade). I enjoyed it that much that I decided to also buy it for my PS5 (it’s a PS4 game though). It even includes the excellent Quake 64 from the Nintendo 64 with its impressive multi-coloured lighting effects. This was the first version of Quake I ever played before I picked it up on PC the next year.

It runs flawlessly on my system at 5120x2880 and 165 FPS on my G-SYNC display with all the new visual enhancements enabled. I did not notice any stuttering. The only bug I came across was when I switched the Resolution setting (a different option to the actual resolution setting confusingly) from High to Low and thought the game had froze! However, I could still hear the sound effects as I moved the controller so the game had just stopped updating the display for some reason but was running internally. Weird! Switching it back to High fixed it. This issue is not present on the PS5 by the way.