1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QUAKE II RTX For Free This week

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2019.

1. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Yeah, 1440p performance is pants so had to play 1080p. After about an hour, I quit, the game still sucks.

2. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Do you get better performance on you Vega?

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Just as a data point and WTH, $5 on GOG...
    I managed ohhhh....the display FPS *indicated 10 FPS...but looked more like 5 ha ha at 4K. At 1080p it was ~15 FPS or so with RTX.
    Curious thing was Ogl VRAM use was just under 1.5GB at 4K but using RTX as the renderer, VRAM usage skyrocketed to 6GB VRAM usage.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Even that 1.5gb vram usage is insane considering cards at the time had 8-16mb. Rtx is indeed vram heavy.

5. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    RTX version uses better textures and the game is running at higher resolutions than back in the day. Also, there's other improvements to graphics.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheDeeGee and Undying like this.
  7. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    I remember my Voodoo 2 SLI rig ran Quake II @ 60fps perfectly fine.

Undying likes this.
  8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    You've got to watch Jokers vid on it, hes getting 19fps in it on his Ti at 4k, its funny as hell :D

Undying likes this.
  9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    He's not alone. It's pretty slow. I'm gonna drop the scale to 75% and see how it runs.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not sure what Nvidia is trying to prove here. This is more an embarrassment for them than any benefit they may gain from showcasing RT on it. Its gonna be a meme.

jbscotchman likes this.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Played the freeware, was really cool. Never played a quake game before, remind me of DOOM on Playstation, a very long time ago.
    Doesn't look like a 22 years old game anymore tho :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4K originals in spoiler below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    8gb+ vram usage @XenthorX this game is pushing your card more than Star Citizen :D

XenthorX likes this.
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    think i had chrome/photoshop on the side also :3 Find it really cool. Considering buying the game.

On the topic of 4K, current gen doesn't have enough computation power to do a lot of things at 4K with raytracing, that's just a fact.

Quake 2 here is doing a lot, especially if using the high preset for ray tracing with Multibounce GI AND Reflections.
    Multibounce GI is what most current gen games spend hours baking offline before shipping, but here it's realtime and dynamic.

That being said, dropping resolution scaling to 70% at 4K, i got a nice experience playing on ray tracing high preset.

You can denoise as much as you want, this is what the 2080-ti is delivering at 4K in best case scenario, coded by Nvidia itself:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    considering your card I find 50fps to be ridiculously low framerate. so either RTX implentation was done horrible or RTX really isnt anywhere near ready

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    With Ray Tracing you can achieve flawless lightning like modern movie CGI quality, ideally. Not only aren't we there yet, but modern movie aren't at 4K, far from it.

I maxed out their demo at 4K, because i love the eye candy, could have settle for a more performance friendly ray tracing options: out of low, medium, high, i went with high.
    Meaning, Multibounce GI, Reflections, Soft shadows.

There's no 4K Ray Tracing ready GPU out yet. Next GPU generation maybe. We're just getting started with ray tracing afterall.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Tried this on my GTX 1070, ran at anything from 12-26 fps with RTX enabled depending on level of detail of RTX I selected. GPU load at 100% the whole time, so it's doing something. This was at 1080p. Uninstalled! Wasn't expecting it to run properly on a non-RTX card.

17. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    9700K @5GHz
    2080 @ 2GHz undervolt

70-80fps @1080p :eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O:(:(:(

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Path tracers in general require more Memory because it also renders out of frame scenery.

19. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Its only first 3 levels shareware version [but if you own full quake II their download will upgrade it to RTX fully] and it was doing 30fps on my 2080ti/9900k So i dont know what they did there its ancient game, i reduced the render to 90% to get 45-50ish fps

20. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Am I the only one or the corridors in the first level and the second room after you start the game [with 2 enemies and stairs down and water] are pitch black?
    WTF? I quit just for this reason, i tried every setting and its not, its the game and there is no flash light [you get 4 flash bang grenades that can light for maybe 20 seconds and then they turn off]