Quake Champions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    It doesn't.

Not impressed with this game, slower than Doom MP, also rocket launcher works better there.

2. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080

Interesting to see some here say they prefer the new UT over Quake Champions. I am quite the opposite. I like the new UT a lot, don't get me wrong, but after playing QC the new Unreal feels incredibly slow and like something 5+ years ago. The action in QC is more intense and it offers a bit of something fresh, while UT is the same old formula, not really offering anything new. While that's not necessarily a bad thing because I love me some classic UT, Quake Champions is trouncing it atm imo. And in far less time in development I might add. I'm sad to say, I believe the new UT might be DOA when its finally launched :(

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm running at 1920x1200 here and it runs really great all maxed-out. What resolution are you running?

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I could play @ 3K maxed np, 4k gave me out of mem errors - system memory, but then I lowered to 2880x1620 for that extra kick by very heavy explosions.

5. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    I used to love the old quake games. In fact when I was 12 my next door neighbor and I ran an Ethernet cable through the attic so we could play Quake :) Got my ass kicked for a few weeks then the tables started turning until I became the best! We only had 36k dialup internet back then so this was amazing!

Now at 32 years old I thought I would not be able to keep up pace, but after coming 4th in the first DM then moving quickly o 2nd and 1st I have to say it feels good and like a modern version of the old games.

I am getting 200 fps running at ultra settings in full 4k :)

Interestinlgy my screen tears above 60 as its a 60 - 75hz screen but for some reason Quake Champions runs at 150 - 200fps without tearing, how is this?

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Those arcade game are always way too fast for me, anyway, i'll try this one !

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    New update announced at e3 and released this morning. 3 new maps, new character and new mode. Looks like a 16gb download. I just got it installed.

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Mine is saying 11.58 GB downloading now.

9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    The new character is BJ Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein! His ability is dual wielding weapons, of course :) So far, so good with the update, although the new weapon "Tri-Bolt" seems a bit underpowered. I like the idea, but as it stands, it doesn't do much damage and seems among the weakest weapons. It's the first iteration though, so I'm sure it will get a good tweak at some point.

:biggun::biggun::biggun:

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I ran through a few matches. I still really like this game. Though, I'm old. So it's a nostalgia run for me. I'm biased. I also like how they already have as many official maps at UT4 in 3 years less time. rofl.

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol I know right? It's kinda sad to see how the new UT is progressing, or not progressing. Seeing Quake Champs in motion really puts things in perspective. It's clear Id/Bethesda are putting far more time and resources into QC than Epic is into UT.

12. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    i know this is super late, but epic was busy with that shitshow paragon. now theyre busy with fortnite. theyre just letting UT languish, & honestly its quite sad. i preferred UT99 to Q1...but the way things are progressing, the UT4 vs quake champs question is kind of moot

anyway. anybody in early access? ive been playing since closed beta, & the game is improving markedly. apparently this hybrid idtech isnt optimized well at all - medium textures & high settings takes 3gb vram. still, framerates are okay considering im running a toaster. staying above 60fps.

id has a detailed plan to improve the hitreg/netcode issues that they are in the process of implementing, but the random laggy/disappearing rockets arent going to go away until theyre finished, it looks like. they are working on raw mouse input right now as well, but keep running into input lag issues.

im still having a ton of fun with it despite some glaring bugs. the gunplay & movement are much closer to Q1/UT99 than Q3A, which is a godsend. kinda sad that i dont like the two bhop/airstrafing champs, so i have to stick to strafejumping to get around instead...but nyx can walljump so that almost makes up for it xD

DSparil likes this.
  13. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ I'm in early access and decided to take the $29.99 plunge. I was basically sold on getting all of the champions from here on out. I don't want to have to deal with bs micro-transactions to get guys I want to play with you know? It's also much more convenient to be able to play through Steam, vs that buggy crap Bethesda.net launcher. That being said, I think the game is in a very good place right now, despite some buggy performance. It is amazing how much farther QC come in a fraction of the time its taken the new Unreal Tournament to develop less content. I have read that UT has a super small team, and sadly it appears it may be DOA when its finally done. If its ever completed in the first place? It's a real shame because I was hoping for the new UT to be what UT3 should have been. It started off nicely enough, but seems to have slowed to a complete crawl. Anyway, thank bejesus that Quake Champs is coming along quite nicely! My fav champs to play with to date are Scalebearer, Nyx, Doom Slayer and Sorlag. In no particular order. Doom Slayer's active ability is a lot of fun but very hard to control, while Nyx's seems incredibly versatile. One of my favorite tricks with Nyx is to disappear and run up on the opponent while they can't see me, just to reappear with a gauntlet in their face. I've gotten so many "humiliations" this way lol.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Bots!

DSparil likes this.
  15. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Yes! This will be an awesome addition to the game. Speaking of awesome additions, does anyone know how to get the new Plasma Gun without having to find it by chance in a Reliquary? I missed the boat on the bug that they were quick to fix, and I've not been able to get it since :(

16. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    You'll be able to buy it with shards in the near future, not sure when!

DSparil likes this.
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I like the game, but it's hard to find any players in it right now...

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Bots huh smart move.

So is there an edge map? My fav q2 map, needs an elevator and not the bounce pad non sense we got in q3 or was it q4 we got the edge remake?

How about they just remake quake 2 with the new ID tech and i would be in heaven, need the quirky physics also that made pro mode a thing.

19. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Sounds like you may have been experiencing the "que bug". If the search goes over a few minutes, close it out and start a new match search. Its been reported and the devs are aware of it, so hopefully that's fixed in the next update.

20. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I wouldn't mind trying this game out or the new UT if it was ever released out of beta, but I worry the servers will be like my experience with UT3, full of bots. Thought I loved UT3, was a fun game but no one seemed to want to play it. I enjoyed the football sports type mode, whatever it was called the most. I tried Quake Live and it was pretty much the same, I saw one other person on there that was kicking my butt but I wasn't sure if they were a bot or a real person but the game moved way too fast for my tastes.

I got burnt pretty bad by Nexuis which ran on Cryengine 3 and was geourgous but they shut the servers down not long after release and I feel they should have returned my money. Tribes Ascension was fun but few online, I read that Lawbreakers flopped so probably few online there as well...seems the genre just doesn't pan out for long and I'm extremely slow at getting around to playing a game of anything.