Quake Champions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I grew up with a guy that competed in very high level quake tournaments. He bet me $100 once that I wouldn't be able to kill him a single time in a 10 minute round. I lost badly. The skill required in these games is ridiculous. There's none of that BS regenerating health or killstreaks.

2. RanmaGamer61

RanmaGamer61 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960 2gb
    Quake Live is fun and Quake Champions looks fun, they also added new abilities to each character, can't wait to play the beta.

The game is gonna be great I hope, does anyone know the minimum system requirements?.

I saw somewhere the beta will be out tomorrow April 6. I might be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The drive for perfection in movement, aim, weapon switching, taking weapons and health etc as well as being highly competitive makes for interesting competition. In my early 20's my best on a public server (no bots) in Half Life dm in bootcamp was 1000-5.

I'm nearly 40, but, I've found that those deathmatch skills still transfer well to games like Doom, UT Alpha etc. However, I've also found that people who play games like CS, COD and Battlefield find it a lot harder to "step-up" to these kind of games. Back in the day DM was the bread and butter of online fps. Now, it's more niche and not many players stick around, unfortunately.

I don't see Quake Champions changing this situation either, it's just too competitive for most people.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    [​IMG]

Supposed to go live in 30 minutes according to the email I got yesterday

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    That's rather low. I do not believe that gt 630 and R7 240 can run this game.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    This is using idTech5. The engine used in RAGE, combined with Saber Interactive's own tech.
    But, then again, idTech5 has never seemed to "play nice" when it's been modified in the past (The Evil Within, DisHonored II).

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I received a close beta invite last night.. installed and gonna play a bit tonight and over the next few days to get a feel for it. Says that it opens up today and closes Sunday night.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Good luck. Seems like they sent out more beta keys then their servers can handle. I've been #1391 in queue for the last 45 minutes.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Maybe a good thing I'll be trying it out later and not right when it opened.. Not surprising, but hey glad to hear that there is still interest in the arena!

I have been missing the arena fix so badly. Playing UT4 on and off over the past year and a half has been nostalgic like crazy.. lots of fun.

10. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Played for about 4 hours yesterday, great fun! Few issues with freezing when quad is picked up but overall pretty impressed!

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Ah, no keys for me yet. :(

Post some more game impressions guys when you got the time.

12. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    no key here yet as well :(

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    First benchmark. Cant wait to see if Vulkan update improve performance further.

[​IMG]

14. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I love seeing the 280X in benches after all these years, still getting solid frames. The 770 isn't doing badly either, mind you.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Im hoping Vulkan will bring 280X at 780 level just like in Doom. I am assuming it runs under the OGL atm.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Played for a few hours last night.

Initial thoughts:

- Gameplay solid. Definitely has that old quake feel.. not exact by any stretch, but shouldn't be.. its a new game.

- Plays very well on my 980TI.. no real lag or chop, nice and smooth. Was a bit disappointed though that the scaling for 3440x1440 seems.. weird. This really should be a standard resolution at this point for new games.

- Graphics are good but not amazing. I don't see that as a problem though since its an arena FPS after all and high frames are king.

- Find that the skill ceiling like most arena FPS is fairly high. New players will not be able to jump in a dominate, which is a good thing.

- Characters will definitely need to be balanced more. they all have their skills and you can see how some characters will benefit certain game modes over others. If they do this right, I think it will work.. but I could also be a pessimist and say this will be a challenge to get right.

- Audio is good, like the announcer and overall was immersive.

- Combat is frantic and the speed is IMO perfect.

- Weapons like shotgun may need a boost as they seem to hit pretty weak even at close range.

- Not really sure about the store system and getting the loot boxes, but do like the fact that there is a lot of different content and customization.

- The UI is a bit.. bland and unintuitive. I think there is room for improvement there.

- Was surprised at how well the server connected and worked for me right out of the box. Had a 55 ping and didn't notice anything odd with it during my games.

Overall I'm pretty darned impressed. I can see myself draining a ton of hours into this game once new game modes are released and I get up to game speed and learn the maps (which I should also mention, the maps I played all were awesome design).

Have high hopes for this one!

17. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    Does Quake Champions have matchmaking, putting you up against players of similar skill? Or do we go at it old school style, joining random servers in the hope of a balanced game? In the olden days I never got into multiplayer for any game I played, except a few team games. But games like Halo, Rocket League and CSGO, using matchmaking, have completely changed that. For me, it's an important part for any multiplayer game: am I likely to have a challenge catered to my skill, how big is the guarantee of a fun game whenever I hit "Play!", and how long does it take to get from Main Menu to Fun Game?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  18. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    ^ I don't think we know the answer to that yet twonha. It's too early in development.

I must say though, I really like what I am seeing thus far. There are a lot of naysayers and crybabies about how bad the Champions system is, how the weapons are off, how the hitboxes need work, and so on and so forth. I appreciate the people who are mature enough to see where things need work and who fill out the surveys and report problems and bugs as they discover them! This is what the beta testing process is all about. Seriously, from what I'm reading on some forums and social media, some people should not be involved in alpha or beta testing whatsoever! I'm not necessarily talking about Guru3d btw, just in general.

I for one, am enjoying the Champions setup. Once they balance these, fix the hit-boxes and get the stats adjusted a bit, it will be great imo. Then they will add additional Champions and do the same. Some old school purists hate the idea of anything other than pure skill deciding the outcome of a match, and I get that, but they have to realize something. For one, QC is going to offer a classic mode that (supposedly) will negate all Champion stats and abilities. This is the word floating around the games beta forums. Also, its not 1999 anymore folks. Many FPS games have tried to revive the genre and breath new life into an old formula and it has for the most part failed miserably. ID recognizes this and is trying to add another layer onto the tried and true big named franchise, and I think it's not a bad thing.

Let's give it a chance to further develop and see where were at in a few months or so from now. Keep playing, testing, filling out the surveys and reporting bugs and issues. Let's give the devs a chance to make the best new Quake game they can. The Champions system with customizations, along with the classic mode should have a better chance of catching the interest of both new and old school players! Not everyone playing this is going to be 35+ years of age like myself ;)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I've just been given 3 keys for Quake Champions beta to give away, if you're really into these kind of games then msg me. First come first served.

Gone.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  20. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I played the most recent beta last weekend and I have to say, I enjoyed this immensely. More than I thought I would after being disappointed so much in UT4. I'm excited for this one.